About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Lehigh County GOP has a New Chair

When DA Bill Platt would look into my eyes, I always felt like I must be a mass murderer or something. When I'd bring a client to him for a guilty plea, I'd often start pleading guilty myself. Now he's a judge, and if I ever have to appear before him for one of my unpaid parking tickets, I'm a goner.

Bill Platt's son, whose name is Bill Platt, looks just like his dad, although he claims he's nicer. Last night, he stepped down as Lehigh County's GOP chair after the party faithful sacrificed a few hapless Democrats. I was invited, but saw their wicker baskets just in the nick of time.

So who's the new boss? In what is certainly no surprise, Wayne Woodman was elected chair over Grant Carter by a vote of 92 to 58.

The big surprise last night is that Kim Beitler, who works as the GOP office manager, was nominated from the floor and beat Gael Coffin by a vote of 77 to 70 for the position of Vice Chair. Some argue that it's a "conflict" for Kim to work for the GOP and be its Vice Chair, but that sounds a little silly.

Kim is also a neighborhood watch leader in Allentown and is a fixture at City Council meetings.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who became secretary and treasurer?

Bernie O'Hare said...

Scott Aquila was unopposed for Secretary as was Cynthia Gibson for Asst. Secretary.

Anonymous said...

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

The big surprise last night is that Kim Beitler, who works as the GOP office manager, was nominated from the floor and beat Gael Coffin by a vote of 77 to 70 for the position of Vice Chair.

Do you mean to say it is surprising that Kim won, or that the vote was close?