About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, March 25, 2013

Bottom-Feeding Blogger Receives Major Award

Last night, while the rest of you were circled around the TV or curled up with a good book, I was diving into Lamont McClure's garbage cans, looking for dirt. As most of you know, I'm a bottom-feeding blogger with no redeeming virtues. But now, I'm a bottom-feeding blogger with a major award. Believe it or not, it's for journalism.

The Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association has given me second place in its annual Keystone Press awards. It's in the "ongoing news coverage" category for my NIZ stories published at The Bethlehem Press, a weekly newspaper that comes out every Wednesday.

I was up against heavyweights like The Abington Journal and The Susquehanna County Independent, not the dailies. They have their own category. The Morning Call picked up five awards. I was unable to locate the correct category for The Express Times, and will update this post when I find it.

I was in a small category. But hey, a win's still a win.

I want to thank those of you who sent emails to The Press last year, urging them to fire me. You inspired me.

The Bethlehem Press did pretty well in the awards category this year. Here are the other winners:

Dana Grubb - Second place, column writing.

Karen Samuels - Honorable mention, column writing.

Brandon Taylor - Second place feature beat reporting; Second place photo story.

Tim Gilman - Honorable mention, feature photo.

Linda Anthony - First place, photo story.

Ed Courier - Honorable mention, graphic/photo illustration.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear everyone else tied for first

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Bernie. I expect to see that leg lamp glowing in your front window soon.

c said...

Congrats Bernie.

Anonymous said...

You are to be congratulated. Well done.

I just wish that Bethlehem had a daily newspaper. I still cannot understand how Wilkes Barre, population 37,000 manages to have two functioning dailies while our city has none.

VOR

Bernie O'Hare said...

The papers in Wilkes-Barre serve both that town and Scranton.

Bernie O'Hare said...

"I hear everyone else tied for first"

True.

Tommy Chong said...

I want to know who won first place, if they beat you surely it's good writing!

Bernie O'Hare said...

Some bastard at Whitehall-Coplay Press beat me on stories about Coplay Library.

zoid said...

Great job on the NIZ Bernie. Keep at it!!

Anonymous said...

certainly all these awards will make it pretty darn impossible to show the court that the person who dumped your ass has destroyed your reputation

Bernie O'Hare said...

You can run, but you can't hide. The fact is that your defamation did damage me in many quarters, especially among those who are only casually informed. These awards came despite your attempts at sabotage, interfered with my writing and research and hurt people who are close to me. I am seeking compensation for the damages you caused in court, where you are in default.

c said...

was it Johanna Billings at Whitehall Coplay?

c said...

She is very dedicated, an author who speaks both English and Russian. A really good egg. You couldn't have taken second to a better person.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Bernie, fantastic job!

The Banker

Bernie O'Hare said...

C,

I've never had the privilege of reading her. I will pick up a copy of Whitehall Coplay Press and look fir her byline. If memory serves, she got a few awards.

Hokie Joe said...

Congratulations to the Lehigh Valley's Best Blogger on public issues. We need more reporting on our public officals and their activities. Keep up the good work.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Thanks, Hokie Joe. I had a card made up today. All it has is my name, followed by "award-winning broadcast journalist," a la Bobbie the Brain.

Chris Casey said...

You know Bernie, you still might get a Pulitzer....FOR FICTION! LOL.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Hey, it's a major award. ... I think.