About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Thursday, September 05, 2013

Beth Tp Strays Lower Than Reported

On Monday, in "Who Let the Dogs Out," I told you that Bethlehem Township leads Northampton County in stray dogs, with 150 reported in 2012. I was relying on a Meyner Center report. I have since learned that the number is actually much lower, as Township Police Chief Dan Pancoast explained in an email to the Meyner Center in July.
In checking our records I discovered that our clerk provided me with the number of stray dog complaints responded to in 2012 and not the number of strays we actually recovered. While we responded to 150 incidents, we actually took custody of 31 animals. 12 more stray dogs were held by citizens when the shelter stopped receiving animals. Sorry for the mix-up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So we can cancel the multi-million dollar government solution to the problem?

Bernie O'Hare said...

Maybe. I would want to do a little more digging. I believe BT, for example, is happy with its solution.

Anonymous said...

I would think that if the Townships and Boroughs are choosing to use their police to handle the problem instead of contracting with a private shelter, it's an indication of how small the problem actually is.

In any event, I don't see how it becomes a county responsibility. One facility per county isn't going to be very convenient. It would make more sense for smaller munis to regionalize their approach, or perhaps band together for better rates from private shelters.

Anonymous said...

I don't think the Bethlehem Township is happy with their situation, but they do the best they can with what they've got under less than ideal circumstances.