About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Can You Beat Me on Appalachian Trail?

Most of you have probably hiked at least some of the Appalachian Trail. A few of you have probably done the entire trek. On January 17, I started the Appalachian Trail Virtual Challenge. I'm too cheap to pay $40 for a finisher's medal, but am tracking my mileage along the 1968-mile course. 

Here's the way it works. Any exercise that is distance-based, whether it's cycling or even rowing, counts. At this time of the year, I'm mostly on the arc trainer. It's a superior cardio exercise. But it burns calories more than it burns miles. So I've kicked things up a bit with the indoor bike and some walking and running. So far, I've burned 251 miles. My goal is to finish by the end of the year. 

I have a buddy who started two months before me, and he's 40% done. Once I can bike outdoors, I hope to catch up. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spent decades on the appalachian trail, mostly hunting, lots of rocks, lots of brush, not many scenic views. Visibility is usually 50 yards. My son wanted to hike the whole trail, I recommended he try a week first. He did, did 90 miles in 5 days and since decided it was pretty boring hiking. You may have made the right choice of doing it virtually. Great hiking in the rockies, not so much here.

CARL said...

I got you covered old man! Try a hike up to Mt Washington Observatory NH in winter. That is on your AP trail. Heading up again in two weeks with my 30 yro kid and he is already trying to get in my head about keeping up with him and his friends! The heck with your virtual nonsense!!

Capt. Capicola said...

Bernie u should check out Gobblers Knob down in VA on the AT its a total outdoor meat market lots of bears, thinks, otters and some hikers good place to escape the drudgery of bottom feeding, old boomers accepted!

Anonymous said...

I dunno...do you want to be beaten on the Appalachian Trail? I mean that's not my thing, but I can put you in touch with someone whose tastes run....darker...than mine.

Ovem Lupo Commitere said...

I love hiking, though I've never been on the Appalachian. I like Hawk Mtn. Jacobsburg is nice for easier and closer hikes. Good for you with this vitual challenge. I know I regained all the weight I lost, and then a some, once covid shut down my gym routine a year ago. Anyway, I just picked an older post to see how it posts and whether I'm logged in on Blogger correctly on my phone.