About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Saturday, June 13, 2015

Updated: Rescuing Man's Best Friend on 22

I have my grandson's dog this weekend as he plays in a tournament in West Virginia. I picked Suki up about 5 pm, and began heading east on 22. It was hot and muggy, the kind of day when tempers flare up on the roads, especially when they are trying to get home after a long work week. But instead, I saw mankind at its best.

Near the Schoenersville Rd exit, traffic had slowed to a crawl. I soon saw why. A dog was running along the berm of the road, going full speed. It appeared to be terrified.

I would later learn that the poor dog, a cock-a-poo named Nestle, had jumped out of the window of someone's car as traffic had come to a crawl.

Instead of whizzing by, one fellow in a late model sports car got on to the berm, put his flashers on, and drove slowly behind the dog. Another fellow pulled over some distance ahead. And one man in the right lane next to the berm leaped out of his car while it was still moving and rescued the dog. I'll never know how or if he got back to his car, which was obviously a manual transmission.

At least three people risked their lives to save this god. The owner put out an alert on Facebook and was reunited with his dog early this morning.

Maybe there's hope for us after all.

(Updated from an earlier version of his story, which published last night at 10:55 pm. Because he and his dog have been reunited, I am not posting the name of the owner).

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

mans best friend

Anonymous said...

The owner is looking for this dog. It jumped out their car window in traffic. They have yet to be reunited.

Anonymous said...

Was it a pit bull that answers to the name..CATHY?

Anonymous said...

@7:52 AM Not surprised you took the time to post an inane comment.

Anonymous said...

Tom Osborne on facebook is looking for his dog -this dog.

Anonymous said...

Dog was returned to owner

Bernie O'Hare said...

Yes. His dog was returned to him, and that sounds like ezactly what happened. I did not know for sure why the dog was running along the berm. It apparently jumped out the window.

Bernie O'Hare said...

One lady suggested to this fellow rthat he should get a seat belt for his dog. I never heard of them.

Anonymous said...

I think in Jersey a dog must be secured in a car.

Bernie O'Hare said...

This is why I am not posting the guy's name. I don't want him exposed to anonymous attacks.

Matt Miles said...

They do have a harness law in NJ.
http://www.baxterboo.com/fun/a.cfm/nj-click-it-or-ticket-law-applies-to-pets-too