About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, June 08, 2015

LV Blue Chips Win BucksMont AAU Basketball Tournamen


The Lehigh Valley Blue Chips are a dream team of 8th and 9th graders who play at Becahi, Central Catholic, Easton, Emmaus,Parkland and Whitehall. In the off-season, they play AAU basketball. They are coached by Dawud Abdur-Rahkman, an assistant coach at Muhlenberg College and the father of former Central Catholic and current Michigan standout Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman. Last weekend was the first chance I had to watch them in action since the end of basketball season. These kids were already good. Now they are scary good.  "Every one of them is selfless," Coach Abdur-Rahkman tells me. "Every one of them is also willing to listen."

Last weekend, I watched them knock off a much larger 16U team with relative ease at the Parkland Trojan AAU Classic. This past weekend, they won the 15U Premier Jam Fest Tournament, hosted by the BucksMont Indoor Sports Center  In one of the games, they were up nearly 40 points before the half, and the opposing coach asked the ref to end the game. After the third request, the ref called it.  Then the coach complained.

These boys are off for another tournament in West Virginia this coming weekend. I'll be dog-sitting. But for the past two weeks, I've been trying out my "new" camera, a used Canon Rebel EOS that I picked up for just $189, including the lens. I've been driving everyone nuts taking pictures.

I'd photograph a fart if I could.

I managed to get a photo of my grandson Dat, sinking a three-pointer.

Here's the shot:


... and as you can see, there it goes right into the bucket.



As Dat said when I sent it to him, Sweet!  I doubt I'll ever get a shot like that again. 

OK, I'm done bragging now. Sorry.

6 comments:

michael molovinsky said...

actually, the canon does have a fart setting, just remember to turn it off before taking photographs for the political stories. on second thought, maybe leave it on.

Anonymous said...

You earned bragging rights! He is a fine young man whom you, and others should be encouraged by his dedication to sports and being a team player in general.

Anonymous said...

Did Dat quit baseball?

Bernie O'Hare said...

He has not played baseball the past three years and concentrates solely on basketball. Baseball conflicts a lot with AAU. This year, he may not play football either. He wants to start this year or be 6th off the bench, so is totally focused on basketball. He has said he may pick up the bat again next year, but that has to be his call.

Anonymous said...

Good stuff. Thank you for sharing.

Ovem Lupo Commitere said...

Great shot by both of you! If you're lucky enough to catch them, sports action shots are pretty special.