About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Problem in Norco' Voter Registration Office? Here's Why

On Monday, I told you about Dent's final numbers in Northampton County. Instead of losing the county by 100 votes, he actually won by over 3,000 votes. Green Dog notes these discrepancies extend to other races as well. Today's Morning Call tells us state senator Pat Browne had 2,000 more votes than was originally reported.

Congressman Charlie Dent today told WGPA 1100 AM that voters are entitled to an explanation for the growing problems in Northampton County. I agree. And this is not just a Republican problem. After the primary, it took six weeks to come up an unofficial total for the write-in races, and that had to hurt candidates like Democrats Charles Dertinger and Russ Shade.

A few weeks ago, Registrar Debbie DePaul suggested some voters seeking absentee ballots were lazy. When I told DePaul that her staement insulted voters, this was her response.

"I seem to not understand your point other then you wish to find negative in every possible thing that I or my office does. It matters not the countless hard work and effort, the dedication, worry, stress and concern to make every Election the very best for everyone most importantly the voters. You seem to have failed to notice and appreciate that the person in charge of the Election Office is intelligent, dedicated, fair and non-bias and holds her office to the same standards. With every positive effort to hold a good and fair election I seem to be fighting a very negative, nasty wave from a group that seem to wish bad upon the office or the election. Yes, Mr. O'Hare there are some that do not wish to go to the polls believe it or not their have been several making those comments in my office in front of staff. It's not the majority and for your information I have many friends and family using the absentee due to medical illness and not being in the municipality. I look to uphold every area of the laws of the election process and I wont apologize for that and I certainly do not look for praise or a pat on the back I am just doing my job. I do what the laws and my conscious tell me I am suppose to do. I would suggest you try to be a more positive person and see the good in people as there is much good in most. I wish you the best."

When she speaks about the election office, Depaul refers to herself. I'm no expert, but her response clearly reveals why her office is a mess. She's a hardworking and dedicated worker, but clearly is stressed.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you quoted this woman verbatim, I'm wondering about her qualifications. Her grammar is one long run on disaster. I have no doubt she works hard, but maybe she is working so hard because she is in over her head? Wait, I'm being negative! Better Stop!

Greendogdem said...

Lets Just say Northampton county was luck there weren't any close races in the valley or we would be awash with lawyers right now. I mean how are we sure that any number that came out of Northampton county was accurate.

Anonymous said...

I bet I know who went on this date. I can't wait to hear about it Axe Man. I hope you do marry her. Bring her to an Eagles game and let Art and Big Jon lower the hammer, kind of like they did on Zile's girl. I love you Axe Man and Mr. Axe Man. Thanks for posting this story, I laughed like crazy. My name is Matthew

Greendogdem said...

Hey Bernie isn't it great the morning call finally discovered this. After 2 days. I guess it explains all the extra hits on my website i've been getting the past 3 days

LSTresidentPIA said...

Making friends and influencing people as always Bernie?

Greendogdem said...

All I know is Stoffa and the Northampton county council better do something about this before it gets anymore out of hand.

Anonymous said...

i understand she is
a) WAY over her head, and
b) resigning.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Anon 10:43, I did quote her verbatim. I don't hold her bad grammar against her, but am disturbed by the way she refers to herself in the third person.

Bernie O'Hare said...

GreenDog, 1) Don't be so tough on the press. I don't think the new figures posted until yesterday, and a well-written story appeared today. Imagine what things would be like of there was no press at all! 2) Your point about us being lucky that there were no close elections is the same point that Congressman Dent made on WGPA today. You must think like a Congressman.

Bernie O'Hare said...

LST, I actually sat on that letter for several weeks and only decided to publish it because it appears that things in that office have deteriorated since the primary.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Anon 12:48, I really think a resignation is in order.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Anon 11:22, You've posted your comment about a PSU student's bad date to a post about NORCo voter registration. My conclusion, after conferring with a number of females is that (a) you must be a PSU student yourself; and (2) you must also be a chemist.

Anonymous said...

I understand part of the problem with the vote counting was improperly trained judges of election, which I feel falls on the voter registration office. That office was supposed to train these people to use the new computerized machines, however many of these "judges" did not get properly trained and messed up the machines trying to get the vote count at the end of election night! I know people who were poll watchers who watched this occur in at least 3 polling location in Bethlehem.
These problems fall directly on the voter registration office.

Anonymous said...

I think she definitely has the hots for you... what a way with women!

Bernie O'Hare said...

Michael 3:54,

I agree. Better training is a big MUST. Judges of elections in two different precincts told me they sent voters home who weren't on the poll books without first offering provisional ballots. This is directly contrary to HAVA. When I pointed this out, I was told the voters didn't rwequest them. The voters should not be expected to know enough to request them. The law requires electios officials to offer them. The story you recite is similar to many I've heard since the election.

This is a real crisis. Nothing is more important than the right to vote. But as a direct result of what I must call incompetence, people are being disenfranchised.

The next election should involvesd some very close races. That's why this problem neds to be addressed now.

Thanks for your comments.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Anon 7:18, That would explain all the anonymous love notes I've been getting. And here I thought it was LVDem.

PA progressive said...

LVDem??? You're the one who left a comment on my blog that flattery would get me everywhere! Did that not mean what I thought it meant????
LOL