About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, March 01, 2010

The First Thing We Do, Let's Kill All the Lawyers

When I left you Friday, I told you that this week, I'd detail some of the problems in the Northampton County Solicitor's office. But after thinking about it all weekend, I think I'm being unfair.

As most of you are aware, I'm angry that a Register of Wills report concerning a Ron Angle will contest was prematurely leaked. The Solicitor's office is up to its neck in that matter. Now it is admittedly impossible to prove that lawyers in that office have had anything to do with it. But there's no denying that Solicitor Karl Longenbach has despised Angle for years, and recently involved himself in litigation against him with, of all people, not-so Jolly Joe Timmer. Even Chris Spadoni, the attorney who wrote the decision for the Register of Wills and played traffic cop during all the testimony, told an Angle family friend to stay away from them.

Both have denied playing games. I've known both a long time. I started practicing with Chris, and actually went to law school with Karl. Both have always been straight with me, and have acted with integrity. Neither has ever lied to me, and that should mean something.

Given their feelings towards Ron, I do believe it was a mistake for them to have been involved in the Angle Will controversy. Even if there were no bias, Angle still has a lot to do with their budget, and that creates a conflict of interest. The matter should have been kicked upstairs for resolution by the Court of First Guess, which is what happened with the high profile Karoly Will dispute. That will be appealed to the Court of Final Error.

On Friday, I told you the Home Rule Charter bars our Solicitor from performing legal services for any other municipality. That should apply to assistant county solicitors as well, even excellent lawyers like Dave Backenstoe. What's bad for the goose should be bad for the gander. One of you, citing a 1995 PBA Opinion, disagrees. "There is nothing per se in the representation of [City] which would be adverse to [County]. In fact, you could argue in many instances their interests may be the same."

For years, I've maintained, correctly or incorrectly, that this practice creates unnecessary conflicts. There's nothing personal in this criticism.

But going into the job performances or work histories of individual assistant solicitors, especially without talking to them and getting their side of the story, is unfair. Writing about it is really motivated more by my anger about the leak than by any desire to improve that office.

I've been highly critical of the Anglephobes out there who rush to condemn Ron over a family matter, without knowing the facts. But I'm afraid I was about to do the same thing to the Solicitor's office. Fortunately, I had a weekend to come to my senses. I will write about it again, but only after I've cooled down.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bernie, we are glad that you finally admit that Registrar Cole's decision was rendered in good faith consistent with law as advised by her solicitor in good faith. In your attempt to cover up the potential Millionaire Drive Conspiracy, you smeared Christopher Spadoni and Karl Longenbach for a week in print with malice. I hope the sue you.

Anonymous said...

And your little dog too!
LMAO

Bernie O'Hare said...

Let's get some things clear. That sdecision , which is dead wrong, wa leaked. I am very suspicious of the Solicitor's office because the lawyers involved are biased. I take back nothing I've previously written, and if they want to sue, they know where to find me. I do intend to write about the Solicitor's office again, but doing so now would be unfair.

Bernie O'Hare said...

"you smeared Christopher Spadoni and Karl Longenbach for a week in print with malice"
I posted two blogs, and stand by every word I wrote.

Anonymous said...

i learned from hard experience to never do anything motivated out of anger (you in fact probably witnessed some of them). good call.

Bernie O'Hare said...

It's a rarity.

Get over it said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bernie O'Hare said...

Commewnts from "Get Over it" will be deleted from this point unless he can establish to me that he is not Bill Villa.

Anonymous said...

Villa is Vile

Get over it said...

First...I am not, nor am I in anyway affiliated with Villa.

Second..Just because we don't have the same views, and I may have blown holes in your argument does not make me Villa.

Third...Just because you don't like what I have to say does not make me Villa.

Fourth....I only come here as I said in one of my posts to give an opposite point of view from yours.

In the posts you deleted, I did not make off topic remarks, nor did I personally attack anyone. I would appreciate if you would obey your own rules and allow my posts to be read.

I AM NOT NOR AM I AFFILIATED WITH VILLA!!

Thank You.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Get Over It,

My comments policy is to delete personal attacks and OT comments. I will also delete anything posted by Villa or anything that I even think he has posted. I've just looked at my statcounter and an AOL proxy server is appearing, and that usually happens when he posts here. You were on this blog a very long time, and that is another Villa trait.

If I am mistaken, I apologize. I do not mind different views and allowed for a lot of disagreement here. I will not allow trolls.

What is your ISP? What is your IP? Let me see if it matches one of the others on this blog and you'll be good to go.

Get over it said...

I am not really sure what that information has to do with anything really. But I can assure you, the first I have ever heard of Villa was through your blog.

And frankly I don't care to be involved in whatever it is you two are engaged in. Seems way to in depth and serious for my reasons of being here.

Anonymous said...

The censoring never ends!

Veritas

Anonymous said...

Only lawyers like you.

Anonymous said...

The censoring never ends - agreed.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Get Over It, Then supply your IP and ISP. You can just give me your ISP so I can confirm you are not Villa. Absent that, I will delete you bc there are too many similarities and that matter has become serious.

Anonymous said...

50% of all lawyers and judges should be disbarred. That is a start.