Friday, January 22, 2016
Brown Fares Poorly in Unscientific LVR Poll
Of the 222 votes cast by readers, Brown received either an "A" or "B" from 19% of those who responded. The remaining 81% gave him a "C", "D" or "F." He received an "F" from 47% of those who participated, which is nearly half of those who responded.
This is something he should consider as he embarks on his statewide campaign.
By way of full disclosure, I should note that I gave Brown a "C."
His performance as Executive improved markedly in his second year as Executive. He still is far too secretive, but has opened up a little. I believe that some of his changes, like reducing worker compensation payments to 66% of a person's salary, were long overdue. Even workers lauded that change. I love his plan for setting aside money for future capital projects, which should avoid the need for an expensive bond. His second year might warrant a high B.
But his first year was a total disaster. He attempted to govern by consultant and used precious tax dollars for a completely unnecessary PR firm. His unilateral reductions in health care benefits were wildly unpopular and resulted in a record number of retirements of the County's very best people. The low point was when he posted armed guards outside his office before a news conference to prevent Council members from attending. His first year was clearly an "F".
He will spend his third year largely being absent as he runs for statewide office.