About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Will You Ever Hear From Me Again?

Joe Brennan
At the time this post publishes, I'll just be getting underway in the St. Luke's Half-Marathon this weekend. If you don't hear from me by Monday, you'll probably find my body somewhere near the gaping hole in downtown Allentown intended for the hockey arena.

State Rep. Joe Brennan and Bethlehem Township Commissioner Felix Barnard will be running this race, too. They've been part of a group of guys training together on weekends. Joe had no idea that Barnard is a Republican Township Commissioner. Felix had no idea that Joe is a Democratic State Rep.

Running transcends politics.

Felix Barnard
I volunteered to run with them, too, but we were never able to hook up.

Joe told me to meet him at 2 AM one recent weekend for a training run at the corner of 6th and Linden in Allentown.

"Make sure you wear your tights!" he suggested. He said if he was late, I should just wait there.

He never showed, but I did get lots of compliments. I even got to ride in a police car.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is Joe running in his suit?

Anonymous said...

Bernie:

Stop by Luna's bakery on Linden St. It is new. My family always tries to support new businesses in the city.

My wife went in at noon to purchase some treats and they refused to wait on her. Seems the only distinguishable factor is she is blatantly Anglo.

I would be interested if others would try it and see what the outcome is. Only condition is you must speak in English, prior to being waited on.

Allentown, Allentown, Allentown!

Outta Place In Allentown

Bernie O'Hare said...

"Is Joe running in his suit?"

He took off the tie.

Bernie O'Hare said...

1:24, I'll check out Luna's. I hp[e the deal w/ your wife was a misunderstanding.

Anonymous said...

I can understand why they never ended "hooking" up with you. Your jokes are our wishes.

Anonymous said...

TM wants her tights back.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Oh God, Here comes another burglary claim.

Anonymous said...

Bernie, i have been to luna's bakery a dozen times and i am as lilly white as they come. Each time the place was packed and i was served as everybody else was. I was the only non-hispanic. I ordered in english. Folks ordered in spanish and english. When i didnt know what was in the case, i asked and the server not only gave me the name of the treat but gave me a general description of the items. It has resulted in me eating more balked goods than i should. This has been a repeat experience. And yeah, the stuff is good. Dont expect weis prices but the quality is much better so its worth it.

Bernie O'Hare said...

After running 13.1 miles, I probably would have eaten the entire bakery. Thanks for reporting your experience. My guess is that there was some misunderstanding with 10:24's wife.

Anonymous said...

We are hearing from you, yeah.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Yes. I survived, and will post a story in a few minutes.