"I'm very upset and disappointed that someone would resort to using my deceased, quadriplegic brother to falsely portray my brother Will in such a nasty, negative way."
Those are the words of state senator Lisa Boscola, and they are directed at lies and half-truth's in Lamont McClure's smear campaign for Northampton County Council. McClure's opponent is Lisa's brother, Will Power.
Bernie Kieklak, Lisa's brilliant chief of staff and frequent contributor here, has a few interesting observations about McClure's McMud.
1) You NEVER attack your opponent unless you are behind. (Unless you are a spineless shitbag like Charlie Dent and panic at the mere thought of having any opponent, because you know full well how shitty your polling numbers really are.)
2) A well-funded incumbent should NEVER acknowledge that he or she EVEN HAS an opponent--especially an opponent with no money, no record of accomplishments to run on, and no political base.
3) You NEVER burn money in the Primary unless it's absolutely necessary for you to survive and advance, because it will always come back to bite you big time in the General Election in the fall;
4) You NEVER level a personal attack against a family member of a 3-term, sitting, senior State Senator who was just re-elected with 73% of the vote unless you have such a serious, irrational death wish that you WANT to commit political suicide; and
5) 3 negative campaign mailings right before the election cannot win more hearts, minds, and votes than a solid record of hard work, a passionate commitment to stand up for over-burdened taxpayers, and the ability to fight every single day for what is best for the people you represent, without a shred of hesitation or fear.