About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, April 23, 2012

Capozzolo Says No to NIZ

Former Bangor Mayor and NorCo Council member Joe Capozzolo is seeking the Democratic nomination to State House District 137. The incumbent there is Joe Emrick.

This hodgepodge district includes the Slate Belt, but also extends all the way to Palmer Township. It even includes Nazareth, where I live. Capozzolo has answered my NIZ questions.

1) Do you support the NIZ? - No, although I do support revitilization of our downtowns, Allentown or Bangor.

2) Are you willing to repeal the Allentown tax grab under which the EIT of surrounding municipalities can be used to finance a hockey arena, and other improvements over a 30-year period? - Yes, but I need more information on the entire project.

3) Are you willing to impose a restriction that would prevent the poaching of other LV businesses within a 25-mile radius of the NIZ? - I don't think that is doable. I would need more info.

4) Are you willing to insist on a requirement that all new businesses moving into the NIZ agree to pay a living wage to its workforce? - "living wage" is a relative term. All wage laws should be followed.

Final thoughts: I think the whole project started off on the wrong foot. It seems the plan was hidden from the public. Sneaking anything into a budget bill is wrong, but happens often. I also don't like how an entire city block was taken from its owners and demolished.

When I get Joe Emrick's reply, I'll post it. NIZ Developer J.B. Reilly contributed $1,000 to Joe Emrick last year. Whether that has continued this year is unclear because Emrick's finance report are still unavailable online. Since state tax dollars and local EIT are financing the NIZ, I think we are entitled to some answers.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did he get Ron Angle to give him the answers?

Bernie O'Hare said...

Instead of smearing Capozzolo anonymously, the question you should be asking is where are Emrick's answers.

Anonymous said...

Bernie,

Your right, Where are the answers from the sitting Representatives.

Dave said...

Emrick is too busy crafting meaningful legislation to bother with the NIZ issue. As a Cap supporter I call on the other Joe to come clean on his fence sitting tactics concerning redistricting. Thanks for nothing Joe! Pathetic..

Dave said...

When I complained to Emrick when the NIZ first hit..all he did is back pedal and tell me to call Pat Browne with my concerns! Vote Democratic!

Dave said...

A vote for Emrick is a vote against education and less essential services for people on the margins of life and a vote for big money and big corporations and profit taking at the expense of everything moral. Emrick's creed is GREED IS GOOD..vote for me!

Anonymous said...

Joe Cap doesn't need Angle or anyone for the answers. he's not afraid to listen, or answer the hard questions. I heard he has collected next to nothing in contributions. If he's in the poccket of someone, where's the money?

I was at the Tea Party Meeting last week, and he was the only democrat to show up. He has Brass Balls! I will be voting for Joe Capozzolo as the only dem I trust.

Anonymous said...

If Joe Emricks campaign finances arnt avaiable, they are late. The reports are due 2nd friday before election (april 13th). If he hasnt filed it, he is breaking the law. What is he hiding? Who's he beholden to? Emrick has been a zero! He couldn't hold his own against Rich Grucela in any area.

Anonymous said...

Bernie, I'd like to see a comparison of the candidates contributions. Where can I find that info? Will you be reporting on this? The only signs I saw were for Emrick and Holden. Lots of money or scared?

danthemann

Bernie O'Hare said...

Let me tell you, and this is a story in and of itself, the state campaign page won't have more than half of those reports until weeks after the election They do not require that candidates file electronically, so it takes them weeks to get the data in. I wrote about this back in '06, believe it or not.

Some of the reports are up, but I did not see Emrick's most recent report.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Enmrick's finance reports are filed but do not appear online bc the state does not require they be filed electronically. Less than half of the reports for state legislative candidates are never available until AFTER the election.

Transparency.

Anonymous said...

To be clear, not one property was "taken" from its owner, let alone a whole block.

Anonymous said...

The way I read the law, all reports are as of April 9, but have to be in by April 13. Mailed reports postmarked by april 12. Every day late is a $10.00 fine. If you cant get Emricks, can you get Cappozzolos?

Anonymous said...

No to the NIZ....Let's hope our county of Northampton does the right thing also. I voted for Emmerick but this has me concerned.

Bernie O'Hare said...

"To be clear, not one property was "taken" from its owner, let alone a whole block."

Fair enough. Of course, the threat of eminent domain hung there, and businesses have suffered, despite the brave faces they put on for The Morning Call.

Bernie O'Hare said...

9:00, Let me be clear. Both Cap and Emrick have fiked their reports. But they are unavailable on the state site bc they filed paper copies instead of doing so electronically. It takes the state weeks to convert them. So we won't be able to follow the money until AFTER the election. I will check in NC and see if there is a paper copy there.

Anonymous said...

OK fair enough. I hope to see these reports in the future. Joe Cap is telling people that he has refused "special interest" contributions. Is that true? NO politician refuses money, the bunch of whores. If he really isnt accepting $, he will be the first!

Bernie O'Hare said...

That's what he tells me, but it is easy to refuse special interest money in a primary where there are no other candidates.

Anonymous said...

Give the guy credit. He answered directly and wasn't drawn in by the living wage hypothetical. I also like including Bangor's downtown in his list of downtowns he'd like to see improved. Emma's cafe is a hidden gem. I guess they should move to the Allentown NIZ.

Anonymous said...

Broadway Pub at the Colonial Hotel is great too!

Anonymous said...

Bernie,

He could have answered the question by saying his DOG ate the questions.

Anonymous said...

If you liked Angle you will love Cappy.

Anonymous said...

...the anonymous coward said.

Anonymous said...

Capozzolo is and always will be an ass.

Anonymous said...

Joe Cap was never and will never be an ass. He can be the nicest guy in the world, or the biggest prick. You must have lost an arguement to him, anon coward 6:25.

danthemann

Anonymous said...

Either way, he's way better than Joe Emrick!