Northampton County has a well-deserved reputation as the most dysfunctional county government within a 1,000 mile radius. Now Berks County is mounting a serious threat. Get a load of these comments about different row offices.
1. Domestic Violence. - Essentially the protection from abuse office is set up totally for the convenience of the employees and judges, not those seeking help. Their goal seems to be to make the process as difficult as possible. This entire direction is wrong and misguided. Their sole purpose is helping those who feel they are being threatened and in danger. It isn't working in this case and something is fatally flawed, maybe literally.
2. Prothonotary's Office. - They are also charged with sending notifications of hearings, dismissals, etc., handling all the civil court's communications with the parties to lawsuits. Unfortunately this office cannot seem to do any of this. I've been there several times requesting to examine public records and been refused. I've seen them mail legal papers requiring a thirty day response halfway through that period. Many other times they NEVER get the paperwork sent. Trying to get anything done through this office is enough to challenge any one's patience. They are thoroughly incompetent. If Marianne Sutton spent half the time managing her people instead of decorating things might improve. Maybe not.
3. Family Court. - The family court system in Berks County is broken and scandalous and the Prothonotary's office is also part of the problem. Litigants aren't being notified of hearings (a common problem), transcripts aren't being made available and paperwork continues being delayed. These have all been persistent problems in this office.
4. Sheriff. - Sheriff Barry Jozwiak, who opposes all gun control legislation, used a list of county gun owners to send campaign fundraising letters. After being sued, he posted the names of all 25,000 gun owners on his county website. With ALL of their personal information.
5. Recorder of Deeds. - The recorder's staff would find insignificant or nonexistent errors on documents and refuse to accept them in order to screw the companies she didn't like (those that weren't renting space from her.)