About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Thursday, April 30, 2020

Instead of Covid-19, Are We All Getting Cabin Fever?

April 9 in Easton
Since the lockdown began, I've spent a lot of time outdoors to work on my fitness. I've shared monkey bars (from a social distance) at school playgrounds with cops who shame me with their ability to do pull-ups and chin-ups. I've visited the fitness trail at Louise Moore Park, which has some great exercise stations. I've promenaded the streets of Nazareth and run at the bike trail in Tatamy. I also had my bike tuned up and have been out and about, riding the streets and trails. Ironically, I think I am more fit now than I was when I could still use the gym. Plus, I just love being outside. Rain and wind are the enemies this time of year, especially on a bicycle. The cyclists's biggest enemy - the car - has been missing. But starting on Monday, my very unscientific observation is that traffic is beginning to pick up again. Despite the lockdown, people seem to be getting impatient about being cooped up in their houses. Instead of Covid-19, a lot of us are coming down with a serious cases of cabin fever. The best remedy for that is getting outside.

Yesterday was a rare day in which I both "ran" and cycled. I wanted a heavy cardio workout because heavy rain is forecast for the next few days. So I rode my bike to Tatamy, locked it up, went for a run and then continued riding along the trail and then climbed the hills back to home. I noticed a lot of heavy traffic, both from cars and trucks. In addition to the usual delivery trucks, there were heavy load tractor trailers carrying slabs of concrete and steel beams. There were also loads of the smaller trucks carrying gravel. Obviously, the construction industry is gearing up.

Grist Mill bridge
Along the Tatamy Trail, I saw the bridge construction at the Grist Mill, which looks like it is well underway. I failed to bring my phone, but a friend who happened to be there took and sent me the picture you see. Further down the Tatamy trail, I saw a home contractor doing a project at someone's property. His truck was parked in the yard. Yeah, he might be in violation of the lockdown, but I won't rat him out. He's trying to feed his family because the state has pretty much failed the self-employed and gig workers.

In addition to the increased traffic on the roads, the trails are usually packed. In the middle of the work week, there was no room top park at the terminus of the trail in Tatamy, unless you had a bike. The trail was packed with runners, walkers and cyclists of all ages and types. Some wore masks, while others did not. I see lots of lovebirds, both young and old, who are enjoying their time with each other. I see entire families along the trail, with kids on scooters while mom and dad try to keep up. But the happiest people have been man's best friend - the dog. They are going for lots of walks, which they tell me is their favorite past time. If they could vote, they'd demand that the lockdown continue forever.

I can walk and even run in very cold and wet weather. But I never ride in the rain, and yesterday was about as cold as I can tolerate. In the pic above, you see a yellow windbreaker. I didn't think I needed it yesterday. I was wrong.

This lockdown has been tough on our finances, and has exposed major weaknesses in the federal and state responses. The people I've seen outside, however, have always smiled and said Hi.

I only wish I got paid for goofing off.   

19 comments:

Ovem Lupo Commitere said...

Glad for your ability to run and ride. I lost 30 pounds last year going to the community center and exercising again, doing 45 minutes on the cross-trainer, then walking a mile afterwards, 4 to 5 times a week. But now, even though I try to walk for an hour, its not the same, and I've regained 13 of those pounds back already. Cross trainer was a great cardio workout because it was no-impact on my knees, as I can't run due to the pounding on my knees (had surgery on one 30 years ago and Dr said then my knees looked like a 60 year old..so now??). Glad not to have had Covid, but I'm getting fat again in the mean time!!

Anonymous said...

Bernie, sorry to inform you but you look like you are sick. Did you go get a wuhun test lately?

Bernie O'Hare said...

"Cross trainer was a great cardio workout because it was no-impact on my knees, as I can't run due to the pounding on my knees (had surgery on one 30 years ago and Dr said then my knees looked like a 60 year old..so now??). Glad not to have had Covid, but I'm getting fat again in the mean time!!"

It's always a battle for me. For me, the arc trainer at the gym was a GOdsend and enabled me to do cardio without the impact that walking and running cause. That is why a bike is so helpful. No impact. I have managed to hurt myself my taking one rainy day to walks steps. That sidelined me three days. So though my knees still work, I get you. As it is, I only run once every three or four days. I walk the other days or hop on my bike.

If I were you, I'd get a bike and try it out on the trails.

Anonymous said...

One of my hopes for coming out of the situation is that we’ve all learned to live more simply. We Americans have too much physical junk in our lives.

Ron Karasek said...

Looking good Bernie...looking good and fit!

Anonymous said...

Once you get COVID-19, let us know how you're feeling. I bet you won't compare it to cabin fever.

Anonymous said...

How many died from the flu this year

Anonymous said...

A lot fewer than from heart disease and obesity, which I suspect will go up in the future because of people trapped in their homes.

Anonymous said...

NOBODY is trapped in their home. People go for walks all the time, I tell you. They work in their yard. It's a miracle!

Anonymous said...

Wolf is killing more people than the virus

Anonymous said...

4:28 PM

I guess you didn't read 12:56 AM.

Based on a neighborhood blog I follow, there are plenty of people wanting to turn in their neighbors for not staying home, even for raking their leaves.

All pledging blind allegiance to our Great Governor.

Anonymous said...

5:47 I’m skeptical.
What’s the link to that blog?

Anonymous said...

6:13 PM

It's called nextdoor. Real hard to find when you don't want to look for it.

Anonymous said...

6:35
Oh yeah I’m on Nextdoor but haven’t seen anybody making those type of comments in the areas that I follow. Just people complaining about the trash collection and people practicing golf on the softball fields.

Roy k said...

Sam Murray is not Irish =Lebanese Fraud !

Arthur Guinness said...

He also fixed an All Star Vote for his Son Joe =Flecked Up !

Arthur Guinness said...

Resign Crater Face =you cannot be trusted !

Arthur Guinness said...

Large Marge has a big mouth !

Anonymous said...

7:35 PM

I guess since you didn't see it didn't happen.

Your world and your welcome to it.