About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Sunday, September 27, 2020

Lou Hershman, Allentown's Watchdog, Passes Away at 84

Lou and Colonel Cole
A great man left us today. Lou Hershman, who served as both Controller and City Council member in Allentown, has passed away.

Lou was one of my favorite people, a true watchdog who always was looking out for the little guy. This blog is full of stories about him. He always had his eye on City finances.

He cared. Even when out of office, he attended every City Council meeting and knew exactly what was going on.

"I loved him like a brother," said Mayor Ray O'Connell. "Lou was a good guy. He didn't care about politics, but the people of Allentown."

Lou and General Grant
Lou was one of the voices in the wilderness, complaining about now disgraced Mayor Edwin "Fed Ed" Pawlowski. He was smeared on several occasions with robocalls inspired by Fed Ed, but never responded with personal attacks of his own. He was simply too classy.

In all the years I knew him, I never heard a mean word out of him.

As much as he cared about Allentown, he loved his family even more.

His pride and joy were his grandsons Cole and Grant, whom he called Colonel Cole and General Grant. He could be counted on to be at every one of their games, no matter what the sport. He was so proud of them.

I have no details on funeral arrangements, but will update this post when they are available.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

A lone warrior who was fearlessly out there on his own without backing from anyone on city council including O'Connell . A legend has passed and the red state now fully in charge. God bless Mr Hershman.

Dennis P said...

So sad to learn of Lou Herschman's death ... Another voice on the east side has been quieted ,,, Rest in Peace Lou .....

Anonymous said...

RIP, Lou. Your old party is unrecognizable. It used to be great because it was populated by guys like you who deeply cared, and disagreed without being disagreeable.

Anonymous said...

God bless Lou Hershman.

Ed Zucal Candidate for Allentown City Council said...

Lou was a great man. He was also my good friend. I was his regular heart consultant. We had that and many other things in common. Even years after he was out of office, he never forgot those people he served. As you stated, he never missed a council meeting. When he came to the podium he wouldn’t talk he would speak. He spoke from the heart. Allentown will never have another Lou Hershman. I will truly miss him. Your job here my friend is done. Rest In Peace.

Anonymous said...

A great man lost to a oblivion public he served long after he was not controller of Allentown.
Til we meet again on the other side.

Unknown said...

Lou was my next door neighbor for 10 years.Good person ,I'm heartbroken. I will never forget him.My best counselor.RIP Lou Hershman.Me and my family will never forget you.

Robert E.Smith Jr. said...

One of my best friends since moving Here to pa.with my wife Eva. We both went to our lady help of christians Lou was an usher and the great controller he was collected the money for our church many years.Lou and I would talk politics almost everyday, enjoyed watching our grandsons play basketball.Always there for me as a friend and helped me , advised me in every election I ever ran in.Great friend , class act, true public servant. God bless him and his family.

Bernie O'Hare said...

I accidentally deleted a comment from someone who met Lou when he ran for State Rep. My apologies. I'm sure Lou's family would appreciate what you wrote, but I am an idiot.