About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Sunday, August 16, 2020

My Quest Along D&L Trail Continues

When I was a little boy, I periodically ran away from home. My plan was to become a mountain man for 20 years, after which I'd return with a beard and coonskin caps. I'd get up in the middle of the night, load my rucksack with a few soup cans and visit the homes of two friends who thought this was the greatest idea in the world. But it never happened. One or the other of us was always asleep. The idea of getting away from the world, however, always stayed with me, so long as it's not for too long. This is why I always enjoyed running long distances when I was younger. Now that I'm an old fart, it's why I love long bike rides. Instead of soup cans, I pack lots of water, coffee, cliff bars, a bagel, bananas and lots of bandaids and neosporin for the adventure that lies ahead. And I'm off. That's what I did Saturday in my quest to ride the Delaware and Lehigh Trail from Cementon to White Haven and back in one day. I am now up to 74 miles. It's slightly under the 80-mile ride I had hoped for, but I was distracted by a steam locomotive in Jim Thorpe. I had to ride it.

Tropical Storm Isaias has done a lot of damage to the Delaware and Lehigh Trail, especially between Sand Island and Easton and along the Delaware. But the pristine northern stretch is as beautiful as ever. The heat was much less oppressive than it has been in recent weeks, and lots of people were on both the trail and river.

When I hit Jim Thorpe, people were lined up at the Lehigh Gorge Scenic Railway, which was about to depart for a jaunt to Old Penn Haven. That's only about six miles north but is along the trail. The train's iron bell was clanging an imminent departure, with an angry air horn letting out a blast here and there. I had to ride it, and my bike and I were on the train.

Jim Thorpe is formerly known as Mauch Chunk, which in Lenape means Mountain of the Bear. Despite numerous warnings, I've yet to see one along the trail. But I saw one in Jim Thorpe, waiting to board.

I was shocked at the number of people not just riding, but lined up along the route to wave at family and friends. People love those steam locomotives as they chug along the tracks, with dark smoke billowing from the engine. As we rode along, we were regaled with vignettes about different parts of the trail. For example, Glen Onoko Falls is apparently haunted by the Spirit in the Mist, an Indian princess.

At Old Penn Haven, my bike and I got off the train, and I continued my trip north. And uphill. According to my trusty Apple Watch, the elevation gain was only 512 feet during my entire trip. It's still noticeable. The nice thing is that what goes up must go down. So the ride back is downhill.

I usually get banged up when I ride over one of the two narrow wooden bridges between Jim Thorpe and Weissport. I'm too proud to dismount and walk it. This time, I managed to rip one of my toe clips away from my pedal, and need to fix it. For most of you, this is a minor repair. For me, this is a monumental undertaking. Mountain men don't usually do repairs.

At Rockport, there is a breathtaking waterfall that the kids really enjoyed.


This alone made the ride worth it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is really good news, people lineup to go for a train ride and people lined up to watch the train and wave to the people that lined up to get on the train. How about the people that lineup to get into Home Depot, Lowes, Cosco’s just to name a few, and then they have to line up at every store to get to the cash register to check out. BUT they can’t lineup to vote.

Bernie O'Hare said...

You are OT, as usual, trying to make everything about whatever is on Trump's little brain at any given moment. Just to clue you in, you most certainly can still line up to vote. Apparently. Like your Dear Leader, facts are not your strong suit. More OT comments will not be hosted. This is about a bike ride, not your nonsense. Get a grip on your mental health.

Anonymous said...

A mountain biker at Jacobsburg Park suggests the Boy Scouts clean the trail debris from the recent storm so he can ride his bike. Maybe, he could spend a few hours and help. If everyone using the trails pitch in, the damage could have been repaired by now.

Anonymous said...

Bernie after this year's cycling trips we will not be able to see you if you stand sideways. This will make for good undercover news worthy reporting in the comming year the year of the snakes head being cut off as we all exercise the beasts from our body's and souls.

Anonymous said...

I think the cycling adds a nice balance to your life. Cleans out the the thoughts about all the nonsense going on around us.

Anonymous said...

Took a ride on the trail north of Slatington on Sunday, you're right it's in great shape. Rode the Hellertown trail last week, the southern part was hit bad, now alot of loose gravel which is a pain.

Look forward to seeing you out there again.

The Banker

Anonymous said...

Not too many folks can claim “when I hit Jim Thorpe” and lived to speak about it. Another one off by BOH.

Anonymous said...

I would like to vote on a train.

Anonymous said...

Great ride Bernie. Buttermilk Falls (pictured) is one of the many along the D&L. IT is a favorite of mine for pictures. Another experience you would like is the bike train run by the LGSRY. It is offered one weekend in August, September, & November. The August & September trains run twice on Saturday & Sunday. The November train is only one per day. The train takes you from Jim Thorpe to White Haven and you bike the 25 miles back. The train goes through a tunnel. While I have not seen any bear in all my biking of the trail, but every time I have ridden the train to White Haven I have seen eagles. Reservations are required because each train is limited to 300 riders. At least that was the limit in the past. During the train ride you also get a history narrative along the way.

Anonymous said...

Two other rides you may want to check out in the future. One is the Abandoned PA Turnpike. This is a 25 mile round trip ride in Breezewood that takes you through 2 of the original turnpike tunnels that were bypassed when the Turnpike Commission double tubed all of the tunnels on the main turnpike. I remember going through these tunnels on family trips and also when the bypass first opened and you could see the one tunnel. Also bypassed was the original Breezewood Service Plaza.

The other is the 150 mile Great Allegheny Passage (GAP). This begins in Pittsburgh to Cumberland, Maryland. It is a 150 mile ride that usually take 3 days along the former C&O railroad right of way. This is part of a longer trail that along the railroad right of way that you can ride through Harper's Ferry into Washington DC. But the entire ride is 7 days. I understand the scenery is as breathtaking as the D&L. According to the elevation maps I have seen the climb is on the first day.

I am planning on doing the Turnpike ride this year and the GAP next year.