About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Saturday, August 22, 2020

Can An Old Fart Exercise in the Heat?

Bushkill Creek is an air-coditioner
Can an old fart exercise in the heat? I do. I've been doing it all summer. Yesterday, I rode from my estate in Nazareth to the courthouse, worked 30 seconds, then rode to the Pho Bowl in Bethlehem and returned back home. Because much of the Delaware and Lehigh Trail is impassable between Easton and Sand Island, I hit the roads for much of my ride. I find that, once you're used to it, exercising in the heat is fine. You need to drink more and forget about setting any speed records, but I find that the heat actually makes me more limber. But it's easier in the shade. Yesterday, there was no refuge from the sun on the roads, and that can be brutal.

I noticed this today as well. Once every four days, I "run." Though I try to start early when it's hot, I like to sleep too much. Today I started at 9:30 am and went 4.1 miles, followed by 1.5 miles of walking at a 16 minute per mile clip. It's the most intense workout I do. I felt very loose the entire time. I think that is entirely due to the heat.

My conclusion is that heat is actually beneficial for boomers like myself because my muscles stretch more easily and I have no joint pain. BUT, and this is a big BUT, avoid the sun.

Most of my run on the Tatamy trail is both shaded and flat. On top of that, the Bushkill Creek is like air-conditioning. So I actually had my best run in many years this morning. My average heartrate was 85% of my max, which is a bit worrisome, but the run today and the ride yesterday caused no soreness.

The story is much different when it's cold.

If you're a senior like myself, you might notice your old bones and muscles come to life in the heat.

Blogger's note: Ten minutes after writing this story, I died.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Were will your viewing be as some may want to make sure the wicked wacky blogger is dead?
Your weight must have dropped drastically because of the summer lockdown.

Anonymous said...

Although we will miss you I'm sure you'll agree that the Valley will be sooo much better now that you're gone. Thanks for the memories, especially the gas pains.

Bath Bear said...

At the Green Door this past Friday I did notice you seemed much more limber, keep up the good work those glutes have everyone going gaga for a peek at your tucchus!

Anonymous said...

Probably because a guy fill of hot air surely can fart

Anonymous said...

Wow, that hovel is now an estate.