Wednesday, December 28, 2016
Fed Ed and City Council Reach Budget Deal
PRESS RELEASE REGARDING AGREEMENT BETWEEN
THE MAYOR OF THE CITY OF ALLENTOWN AND
ALLENTOWN CITY COUNCIL RELATIVE TO BUDGET FOR 2017 FISCAL YEAR
On Thursday, December 22, 2016, with the able and effective assistance of the Honorable Edward M. Cahn and the City Solicitor, the Mayor and City Council (by its elected President and Vice President) agreed to the following:
1. To work in a cohesive and constructive manner, going forward, to accomplish the best budgetary outcome for 2017 and future years;
2. To refrain from any public comment which would tend to disparage the Mayor or any member of Council, including all of their respective family members, excepting constructive criticism or respectful disagreement; it being understood that this non-disparagement clause includes all language (spoken or written) which is intended, or would reasonably be expected, to materially harm the other, or would harm the reputation of any of the foregoing persons, or which could reasonably be expected to lead to unwanted or unfavorable publicity to any of the foregoing persons.
3. Council’s amendments to the budget for cuts to premium pay (Account 6) shall be reduced to 5% (from 10%).
4. The salaries of the Police Chief, Fire Chief and Interim Director of Public Works shall be increased 5% over their 2016 salaries.
5. Salary ranges shall be restored to the back of the budget book in accordance with prior practice.
6. Council will restore all funding to Account 46 of the Budget, as proposed in the Mayor’s Budget of November 2, 2016.
7. The Department of Economic and Community Development shall be reorganized and reconstituted as promptly as possible, with the now-vacant position of Director of the Department filled in the following manner:
a. An Economic Development Committee (“ED Committee”) shall be formed consisting of three members of Council (two to be selected by Council and one to be selected by the Mayor), one representative of the Administration, and one representative of the Human Resources Department;
b. The goal of the ED Committee shall be to conduct a search for candidates for the position of Director;
c. The ED Committee will provide the Mayor with no fewer than 3 potential names;
d. The Mayor will select and appoint a new Director from the aforementioned list of names, to submit to Council for confirmation.
e. The salaries of the Director of Economic Development and Operations Manager will be restored to the salary ranges set forth in the proposed Budget of November 2, 2016.
f. Upon completion of the above process, the Department of Economic and Community Development, under the leadership of its new Director (whether interim or permanent) shall be reorganized to maximize the economic growth potential of the City of Allentown, and to further the existing and future goals and projects of the City of Allentown.
8. Council will conduct a meeting to consider Oscar Montoya for the position of Managing Director, within the month of January 2017.
9. In the event Mr. Montoya is not hired, a Managing Director Committee (“MD Committee”) shall be formed consisting of three members of Council (two to be selected by Council and one to be selected by the Mayor; however, the members of the MD Committee shall not be the same as the members of the ED Committee), one representative of the Administration, one representative of the Human Resources Department;
a. The goal of the MD Committee shall be to conduct a search for candidates for the position of Managing Director, and, within 60 days from the date of this Agreement, will furnish to the Mayor a list of no fewer than 2 and no more than 5 names of individuals the MD Committee believes to be qualified for the Managing Director position; and
b. The Mayor will appoint an individual from the foregoing list, unless the Mayor, in his sole and unfettered discretion, determines that none of the individuals on the aforementioned list are suitable for the position, in which case, the Mayor shall submit a counterproposal of names to the MD Committee for input and consideration.
10. Council recognizes and agrees that it is the Mayor’s sole right to hire or appoint City employees (other than Cabinet positions).
11. One member of Council (on a rotating basis) mayattend the monthly meetings of the Administration with all Bureau Managers.
12. At or before the reorganization meeting on January 4, 2017, Council will take action by way of ordinance to make fund transfers as are necessary to balance the 2017 Budget, and implement the terms of this Agreement.