About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Two Thirds of Bike Trip Complete

I am now about two-thirds of the way done in my bike trip along the Great Allegheny Passage and C&O towpath. I only put in 60 miles on Tuesday, far less than the 90 logged on Monday. Was it the heat? No, I actually like riding in hot weather. Was I too beat up from the previous rides? No, I've been preparing for this was some time. So what was it?

The C&O trail is a nightmare. It is loaded with roots, jagged rocks, potholes, mud and an occasional snake slithering by. It was next to impossible to move fast because I really needed to watch the ever-changing terrain.

Fortunately, the Western Maryland Rail Trail is a paved and level trail that runs parallel to the C&O for about 20 miles. I took that into Hancock.

I'm told the C&O is much nicer from Shepherdstown to DC. I'm about 50 miles from there at the moment.

The picture below is the mouth of the Nearly mile long PAW PAW tunnel. There are detour signs all over and it is supposed to be closed. But I was able to walk my bike through it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do look like a leprechaun Greek god showing off his muscles.

Michael Drabenstott said...

Really makes you appreciate the D&L Trail, huh? It good evidence that trails need constant care and maintenance. Enjoy the rest of your ride. Hope the trail improves.

Anonymous said...

What has this got to do with COVID?

Bernie O'Hare said...

Michael, it is hard to beat the D&L. The GAP does bc it is well maintained like most of the D&L and bc the towns along the path make a great effort to be bike friendly. I know you are working hard to show our local leaders just how much a bike trail improves the local economy.

Bernie O'Hare said...

By the way, thank you for your efforts

Anonymous said...

Love that picture. Is that you and did you pay someone to carry you up there?

Bernie O'Hare said...

That is me and I jumped up from the bottom. I flew down.