About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, August 10, 2021

I've completed the GAP, C&O Next

The 330-mile bike ride from Pittsburgh to D.C. consists of two trails - the Great Allegheny Passage (GAP) and C&O Canal Trail. I started from Pittsburgh on Sunday. I rode about 60 on Sunday. I could have gone more but did not sleep at all on Saturday night, instead driving thru the night to Pittsburgh. After a good night's sleep in Connellsville, I rode 90 today and completed the GAP portion of this ride. 

Most of the today's ride, except for the last 20 miles was uphill. Then I trudged off to a hotel that is on top of a hill. 


This is the hotel I stayed at in Connellsville. The elves were very good to me. 


This is from a railroad bridge near Ohioplye. 


This is the Mason Dixon line setting the boundary between Pa and Md. I am on the Pa side. At this point, I was finally riding downhill. 


This is the Savage Tunnel, quite long and wonderfully cool. My lights are shitty, so I waited for a crew to go in ahead of me and avoided them as they fell. 

Have not quite decided how long I'll ride today or where I'll be staying. 



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do look like a Greek god in a leprechaun sort of way.

Anonymous said...

We’re cheering you on, Bernie!

Anonymous said...

Very cool adventure! Perfect elixir for forgetting about your daily ramblings in the Lehigh Valley. At least until you log on at the end of each day.

Anonymous said...

Love this report. Will never travel these spots so you're showing what's it's like. You look great too. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

What does that slender stone building symbolize?

Bernie O'Hare said...

I have no idea. It was at St Rita’s, an Italian church in Connellsville.

Anonymous said...

Good luck and hope you find a new cycle shop to tuneup those bikes when you return now that Curt’s closed.

Anonymous said...

everything is downhill after you pass that line in the sand

Bernie O'Hare said...

7:43, I will give false names

Michael Drabenstott said...

Have a great ride, Bernie. I'm enjoying the reports.

Anonymous said...

Get me a large cherry gelato please. No, wait. What?

Bath Bruin said...

You are a stud in more ways than one!