About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, August 09, 2021

Scott Hough Pulls Out of NorCo Council Race

Scott Hough led Republicans in May's primary for Northampton County Council. Despite his success at the ballot box, he has confirmed that he is pulling the plug on his candidacy. He explains his decision as follows:

In July of 2021, a professional opportunity outside of the Lehigh Valley was offered to me by a major worldwide entertainment company. Having already been the Director of Security and Event Services for both the SteelStacks Entertainment Complex and the premier entertainment venue of the Lehigh Valley, PPL Center; it was a great honor to be offered such an opportunity in a major entertainment market. Early last week, I signed an agreement to accept that opportunity. This decision will require me to begin working in the western United States at the end of August and to eventually relocate my family. Although I will be remaining a resident of Pennsylvania, here often and maintaining my home in Bethlehem for the time being, it would not be fair to the constituents of Northampton County, if elected, that would only participate some of the time, likely via Zoom calls and likely having to leave office before the term ends. Sometimes major opportunities come at inopportune times, this was one of those situations but was an opportunity that I could just not pass on.

I would like to thank my Republican running mates Kristin Lorah-Soldridge, John Goffredo, Annamarie Robertone and Nicole Romanishan for their support in my decision. They have my full support in the upcoming election and will make fantastic members of the County Council if elected. I’d also like to personally thank Lee Snover and the Northampton County Republican Committee for their support throughout the campaign. And finally, I’d like to thank my wife and family and the volunteers and donors who supported me and gave of themselves to move my campaign forward and to share my message both for State Representative in 2020 and County Council in 2021.

 In closing, I have been campaigning to work for the people of Pennsylvania and Northampton County since the summer of 2019. Being a political outsider, it did not come without challenges. That said, I would not change the experience or the relationships gained as a result of my efforts. To the Democrats that wouldn’t talk to me because I was a Republican, I’m sorry we didn’t have an opportunity to talk. And to the Republicans that wouldn’t support me because I was too moderate, I’m disappointed we couldn’t share ideas. To the news media that wouldn't cover my events or releases because I wasn’t taken seriously, I’m sorry information wasn’t shared with the public. I now know why good people, who really care, don’t run for public office. However, to the thousands of people that I did meet, I’m glad we shared time and in cases where we didn’t agree, I was glad that more times than not, we found some common ground.  

Finally, as my last statement as a “politician”. I am a Covid-19 survivor who was hospitalized and still has long term issues being treated by medical professionals over seventeen months later.  Covid-19 is real. I would not wish it on anyone. Yes, we all have our own personal choice to wear a face covering or to get vaccinated. Yes, both are not 100% protection, but they can help. Yes, the government should not be telling us what to do or shutting down businesses. We do however have an obligation to care for others. I chose to get vaccinated and I wear a mask in some settings not only to hopefully continue to protect myself but to protect others. In a world where the average person does much worse things to their bodies than taking a vaccination which is reviewed and studied by medical professionals or wearing a face mask, I would encourage you to seriously consider protecting yourself, your families and your fellow human beings. If we as Americans could stop politicizing everything, I believe we would find that we are a lot more alike than the extreme factions on both sides of the political spectrum and the news media project us to be. Please support small businesses, protect life, enjoy the safe ownership and use of firearms, encourage hard work and not government dependence and remember we don’t all have to agree, but we can still respect each other. Thank you and may God bless us all.

Under Pennsylvania law, the county party can name a candidate to replace Hough.  

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bernie

How are you writing from your bike? Boy, now that's talent. How's the trip going.

Anonymous said...

Well done

Anonymous said...

Good Riddance, every one of these hand picked Lee Snover picks should take their names off the ballot

Anonymous said...

Has Lee Snover acknowledged Pres Joe Biden as President of the United States?

Anonymous said...

I wish you all the best Scott. You are a determined individual who seeks change in the political cesspool. Sorry to see you drop out, but completely understand. Do for you and your family first.

Anonymous said...

The decision to run for office is itself a character flaw. Scott's personal stock just improved dramatically. Re: moron Snover and Biden: I listened to a Hillary podcast yesterday and she's still calling fraud on her loss to Trump. If you think the other tribe has a corner on denial and insanity, you probably don't own a mirror.