About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, August 02, 2021

Virtual Appalachian Trail Conquered, 330-Mile Bike Trip Next

This is my last monthly progress report on my virtual Appalachian Trail challenge. I finished it on Saturday. My monthly reports have kept me honest and have helped me get ready for the real thing. - a 330-mile bike trip between Pittsburgh and D.C., starting August 8. 

Here's how the virtual Appalachian Trail challenge works. Any distance based exercise counts along this 2,200-mile journey. This includes walking, running, cycling, canoeing, elliptical or arc trainer, rowing, etc. Two friends are also doing this. One started before me, and the other started after I already had a month or so done. It would be incredibly unfair of me to claim I "beat" them. So I will. After all, I am a blogger. That's the way I roll. 

By keeping track of my mileage, I learned some things about myself. I do very well in the warmer weather.  Conversely, cold weather (anything below 50 degrees) kills me, no matter how I dress. I've always been able to walk or run outdoors in cold weather, but I tend to be stiffer and my body refuses to warm up. 

Almost all of my exercise is solo. I've run with others in previous years at times, but even I dislike being seen with me. I really do like the solitude. The one exception is my grandson. He likes the 13-mile Ironton Trail, and has joined me on several rides. We always end up racing, and he clobbers me every time. Here's my data, starting January 17.

January - 132.72 miles

February - 220.45 miles

March - 247.03 miles

April - 304.64 miles. 

May - 271.63 miles

June - 429.76 miles 

July - 602.43 miles

I have logged 1606.23 2208.66 miles, which means I've completed the 2,200-mile Appalachian Trail, at least virtually.  My July average was 19.4 miles per day. Only about 30% comes from walking or running. Most mileage has been on a bike.  

The 330-mile trip between Pittsburgh and DC starts on the Great Allegheny Passage from Pittsburgh to Cumberland Md,. From there I hop on the C&O trail from Cumberland to DC. There's an online trip  planner listing distances, elevations, towns, hotels, campsites and most importantly for me, rest rooms. I need to know where they are. If you ever wipe your ass with stinging nettle, as I once did, you'll understand. 

I'd like to complete the trip in five days. If it rains, it will take longer. I heard of one fellow who did it in 24 hours. He rode in the dark. I think that's pretty much impossible for mere mortals like myself, unless I wipe my ass with stinging nettle. . 

I have two hybrids outfitted with racks. One of them has fenders (great in the rain) and kevlar tires. But I'll be riding a Cannondale Trail 5 with 29" wheels. I might add mud guards, but fully intend to travel light. I will wear a ruck sack with some clothing and an emergency tent and pancho. I will also don a web belt with water bottles, bug spray and first aid stuff. A tube and tools and third water bottle are attached to the bike. I am making no reservations anywhere, except for the return train. I will ride until tired and find a place to stay. If that was good enough for Joseph and Mary, it's good enough for me. 

I will update daily on my progress. If you do not hear from me, they finally got me. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We're is the picture of your superman like stature?

Anonymous said...

Seems like you have almost 600 miles left (2200-1606=594). No?

Bernie O'Hare said...

Lol, your math is correct. I mistakenly listed my mileage as off the end of June instead of the end of July. I have 2,208.66 miles in, I had 1606 miles as of 6/30, and did 602.43 in July, so I made it. Fortunately, this was not a math challenge.

Anonymous said...

Bernie,

Wish you all the best on this exciting journey but please when you get back give us an update on that senior housing crisis you recently highlighted.

Anonymous said...

You see the new silicon gel seats that look like about 100 tiny little egg carton divits? They fit over almost any standard seat with a bottom draw string to keep them perfectly in place. They're a miracle! Really! They subtract about 50% of a** pain from any long ride. About 25 bucks on Amazon.

Ovem Lupo Commitere said...

Congrats and good luck on the next quest.

Anonymous said...

Bernie,

Biking in the dark on rough terrain, that's reckless. Glad you're not even considering that.

Colin said...

Good Work Bernie! Glad to see you're still moving and shakin!