About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, August 03, 2021

NorCo COs Overcoming Vaccine Hesitancy

Northampton County corrections officers really excelled during the worst days of the pandemic. It was a time when inmates were feeling despondent. The guards, who sometimes experience the worst kind of abuse, saved a number of lives during that time. I was very moved to hear of their "mercy," which is enshrined in the county seal. 

Despite my high opinion, I was unwilling to agree with their demand for hazard pay at a time when there are zero cases at the jail. I was appalled to learn that only 23% of all COs had agreed to the vaccine, notwithstanding a $1,000 cash incentive. 

I have since learned this $1,000 cash incentive is actually $500, sweetened with another $500 if they get the jab.  It's unclear to me why all corrections officers have been given $500, but I agree completely because of the way they handled themselves while Covid was raging.  

The number of vaccine-hesitant COs appears to be dropping. Right now, 60 of approximately 195 COs have received the vaccine. That's about 31%. 

This hesitancy might be diminishing because the Delta variant of Covid is as contagious as chickenpox,  according to CDC. What's worse, CDC has learned that fully vaccinated people can carry the contagion. 

Nearly all of Gracedale's residents (93%) have been vaccinated. I will try to learn by Wednesday how many of the nursing home staff have been inoculated. 

9 comments:

Bernie O'Hare said...

I refuse to publish comments from the hypocrite who is fully vaccinated yet is advising people not to get it.

Anonymous said...

Bernie:

I've read that Israel is giving citizens over age 60 booster shots. They are doing this after a study determined that the two-shot Pfizer vaccination, while still 91 percent effective at preventing hospitalization after 6 months, is only 39 percent effective at preventing infection and transmission at that point. As I understand it, we (the US) do not have any provisions for anyone to get a booster shot.

So if I'm over 60 and would like a booster shot I can't get one but if I haven't had any shot I can get one and also make a quick $500? Does that make sense?

Bernie O'Hare said...

Not at all.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Pfizer wants to give boosters by the way.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, but I have a tough time getting excited about another 15 (that's what the math works out to) COs getting a covid shot when the Morning Call is running a headline about NorCo being at the highest transmission rate in the state.

That's an overall failure in my book, and not something for any politician to be trying to take a victory lap over.

Anonymous said...

easy solution-- mandate the vaccine for all guards.
get sticked or get kicked.
Their argument for bonus pay was there is no vaccine and they were taking risks so pay me.
Now there is a vaccine and the argument is "I don't wanna".
Time to stop catering to those that do not care if their actions can hurt others.

Bernie O'Hare said...

The hypocrite who was among the first to run off and get the vaccine himself really hates being called out for the phony he is. Tell you what, fake stuff. I’ll post your lies, but I want you to ID yourself with your real name and address and also want you to agree to cover the medical and funeral expenses of those poor souls who rely on ur nonsense.

Anonymous said...

All employers need to be careful, demanding shots or else may worsen their situation of no workers.

Anonymous said...

Did you find out how many gracedale employees received the vaccine? Low percentage last I heard. But not uncommon in long term care........