About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Thursday, July 23, 2020

Delaware & Lehigh Trail Question: Is Trail Open Past Slatington?

During a ride last week, I noticed that the beautiful Delaware and Lehigh Trail was closed at the Lehigh Gap Nature Center. I'm going to take a flyer and ask if anyone has been on in recent days north of Slatington. It was supposed to be closed until July 17, but open now with intermittent closing. Can anyone tell me if I can go through? If not, is Route 248 safe?

4 comments:

James Neara said...

Bernie, contact the D&L Corridor directly for an answer to your question. Sweet Jesus, old man. I know you're a self admitted bottom feeding blogger. But I figured you had some sense of primary source referencing for an answer to a simple question like this. It's not like you don't know who has jurisdiction and answers to all questions related to the D&L Trail, right?

Bernie O'Hare said...

James Neara, I checked the primary source, i.e. the trail map. The primary source says it was closed until 7/17, but is now supposed to be open intermittently. I posted here bc some regular trail users check this blog and likely know.

Anonymous said...

Bernie
I can't tell you if the trail is open but considering all the crane and aerial activity I see when passing through the gap this week, I would suspect some intermittent closures at a minimum. As far as traversing 248 as a bypass to that, if you have a death wish then its right for you. There are no shoulders for close to mile in the Gap with pretty much rt22 style driving is happening there including heavy truck traffic. Good luck!

Bernie O'Hare said...

Think I'll stay off 248, lol. Thanks. I have heard from someone at D&L that I might be stopped by a flagger on the trail, but not for long. I'm going!