About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Wednesday, July 08, 2020

Have You Tried Pickleball?

On July 4, I was at an undisclosed location in western Lehigh County for the latest hearts tournament. Naturally, I prevailed yet again, dashing the hopes of my opponents. One of them was so upset that he spilled his Sangria all over himself and another player. I was humble in victory, and consoled another player who broke down in tears. "It's only a game," I said. "I'm sure there's something you're good at. Ever try pickleball?"

Earlier that day, I noticed the grandson of one of my opponents had two smallish paddles and what looked like a large wiffle ball.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Pickleball."

"What's that?" I asked.

This young man, about 18' tall, explained that it's a game like tennis, badminton or even ping pong.

"Wanna play?" I asked.

"No way, you're a highly conditioned, well-trained athlete."

He's a very observant young man.

Unfortunately, I was unable to find an opponent. But that might soon change. Yesterday, I received a news release from the City of Allentown. Amazingly, it was about pickleball.

The City's Department of Parks and Recreation has repurposed seven tennis courts at Irving and Roosevelt Park so you can play either tennis or pickleball on them. According to the news release, Allentown has seen an increase in the sport of pickleball with several indoor locations interspersed throughout the community. Allentown offers the only outdoor pickleball courts in the Lehigh Valley and possibly the world, along with the largest city ID sign. The City intends to offer classes and possible pickleball tournaments in the future.

I hope Glenn Klein of summer hoops fame runs them.

I have already contacted Mayor Ray O'Connell to offer my services as an instructor. I was unfortunately disconnected, although it sounded like someone was laughing.

9 comments:

michael molovinsky said...

The landings on the double stairwell in Lehigh Parkway are badly cracked and broken up. As water steeps down, it undermines the steps below. How sad that the park department affords to repurpose courts for pickleball, but allows an irreplaceable icon to deteriorate.

Bill G and Lori said...

The truth of the matter is I did spill sangria on one of the players.

The truth is that Bernie finished last one time and second one time.

We checked the records. Bernie has not won a single game since February.

Anonymous said...

I remember trimming down a few years back and proudly seeing my pickle for the first time in ages. Bring on the competition.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Lol

Buddy Boy said...

i must add to this comment, who "shot the moon" 2x, now that's a winner

Bernie O'Hare said...

I have to concede that the player who "shot the moon" twice is exceptionally gifted and has won numerous awards for Hearts acumen. As for the claim that I have failed to win a game since February, the records are obviously being altered.

Chris Casey said...

Upper Macungie Township constructed an entire Pickle ball court complex of at least 16 courts in the Grange road park. I have the equipment but I have not had a chance to play. Maybe some weekday morning we can try it out Bernie!

Bernie O'Hare said...

Hi Chris! That sounds fun! I'm picking up some paddles and balls and hope to learn the game this weekend between the raindrops.

Anonymous said...

Year 2040: I remember when you could go to a pickleball match for free and watch the best players through chain link fences at public parks. Then the corporations saw an opportunity to make it a money sport. People who used to play for the fun of it signed multi-million dollar contracts and went pro, refusing to sign children's paddles unless they paid. I remember seeing the great player Bernie O'Hare force some kid to give him all his loose change in his pockets, before he'd allow his picture to be taken with him. Bastard.