About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Thursday, June 18, 2020

NorCo To Establish Eviction Diversion Program For Tenants Impacted by Covid-19

Landlords will soon be able to commence evictions again in Northampton County. But what about a tenant who's lost his job as a result of the pandemic and is unable to pay? What about unemployed or gig workers still waiting for their first payment from Pennsylvania's hopelessly incompetent unemployment office? Yes, they are out there, and many more than you might realize.

This is why Executive Lamont McClure has established a tenant eviction diversion program. He's enlisted "tenant navigators" from various local agencies already familiar with landlord-tenant issues to mediate the process. If County Council approves this program tonight, a tenant can apply for diversion once the eviction process has started. Eventually, it is hoped that tenants will also be able to seek help before a complaint for eviction is filed. The County will be seeking $1.2 million for this diversion plan.

C-med Program by BernieOHare on Scribd

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think that out of town apartment slum lords give a shit about renters other than the monthly rent. They will charge hard with evictions but will soon realize that they don't have a market for new renters!

Bernie O'Hare said...

I like this proactive response. McClure did this with Sheriff's Sales when he was on Council, long before the pandemic.

Anonymous said...

I have a tenant who has yet to receive unemployment checks. They are behind three months. I guess governor wolf is too busy protesting, instead of getting this state on its feet. The most do nothing governor ever.
I was at Bethlehem township recycling center just today. A two acre facility . There were two staff people and I was told to wear a mask. Crazy as it may sound. I said I am protesting you making wear a mask so I took my mask off. Crazy world we are in.
Soon things will change. I see a red wave coming. MAGA !!!