About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Friday, June 12, 2020

Updated: D&L Trail: Jim Thorpe or Bust!

The weather is supposed to be beautiful today, so I'm going to continue my exploration of the Delaware and Lehigh Trail. This time I'll head from Coplay (mile 83) to Jim Thorpe (mile 107) and back. If you never hear from me again, it might be because I've been abducted by aliens who want to stick an 80' radio antenna up my ass. I doubt you'll be that lucky.

I hope I have some time to knock around in Jim Thorpe.

I've written several stories about this trail, which Pathfinder calls the diamond of the Lehigh Valley. I agree. I also received a call from a lawyer friend who has cycled for years. He claims his age prevents him from long rides, although I'm sure he could outride me any day of the week. Since the shutdown, he's been doing seven mile stretches. He's just completed all 140 miles.

On Monday, he was cycling alone above Jim Thorpe, near Glen Onoko Falls. He likes to ride in the early morning, and no one was on the trail. Suddenly, he saw what he thought was a big Saint Bernard in the middle of the path. As he got closer, he realized it was a bear. He stopped to get his camera out, but the bear took off. I would have thrown my bike in reverse because I am a coward. Maybe shout "Black Bears Matter!" or "Grizzlies suck!"

I've had an encounter with a bear once before. When I was a much younger man, I used to take a weekly hike along the Appalachian Trail between Wind Gap and Delaware Water Gap and back. I usually went alone, though I once coaxed some friends to join me and even convinced mt reserve unit to make the hike. On one of these treks, I could hear leaves rustling not far from where I was walking. This went on a few minutes, and then I met my fellow hiker - a small black bear. He just ignored me.

Not even a Hi!

I thought that was rude.

I will check in from time to time.

UPDATED SATURDAY, JUNE 13, 10 AM - MADE IT TO JIM THORPE AND BACK! GAINED FIVE POUNDS!

I'm happy to report I made the round trip between Coplay and Jim Thorpe. I rode 47.3 miles. It took me five hours, so I hardly set any speed records. But I'll take it. My only complaint? I gained five pounds.

I've written previously about the wonderful rides to Slatington and Lehighton along a well-maintained and very wide gravel path, with stretches of roadway here and there. The jaunt from Lehighton to Jim Thorpe is a bit more adventurous.

First, despite numerous warnings from Pathfinder and others, I still managed to get lost at the link-up to the trail in Weissport. This should be no surprise to regular readers.

Second, the trail is more like the trail between Sand Island and Easton. It is narrower, has a few rough spots, with two narrow bridges over canal spill offs. You can either take the bridge or ford the canal.

Third, though still mostly flat, I certainly knew I was going uphill.


A wonderful pedestrian bridge takes you across the Lehigh River and right into a bustling Jim Thorpe.


The first thing I saw was the Molly Maguires Bar, naturally. But what drew my attention was the cacophony of shouts and horns at a pocket park across from the courthouse. Numerous drivers signaled their support with loud honks.


The honking stopped suddenly when I posed for a picture with one of the peaceful protesters. When I left, it started up again.


I saw no bear along the trail, but ate at the Bear Cafe. Carbon County had just gone green, and I was actually able to eat inside. Chicken noodle soup.

By my calculations, I burned about 2,300 calories yesterday. I drank lots of water over the day, well over a gallon. I had muesli before I started, a cliff bar in Slatington and chicken noodle soup in Jim Thorpe. On my return, I had a cheese and egg sandwich at Slatington. When I got back, I had steak pho at Pho Bowl in Bethlehem, summer rolls, mango with sticky rice and icing. That's not all. When I got home, I had another cliff bar, a snack of grapes, cheese and apple, a shot of fire cider and 1/2 cup of pepitas (I love them). So I consumed 2,800 calories, about 1,000 more than the norm. This morning, when I woke up, I was five pounds heavier.

Shit. ... A never-ending battle.

Was I sore? Very sore last night, but it's mostly gone. I attribute this to a regimen of stretches I try to do every day. I actually think stretching and core work is the most important of all exercise. But it's nowhere near as much fun as riding a bike, running in the rain or just plain walking.

Enjoy your weekend!

UPDATED AGAIN ON SATURDAY, 10:52 PM: - LVCI has posted a hilarious video on the trials and tribulations of cyclists like me. It actually does include some helpful suggestions.

ONE LAST UPDATE, SUNDAY, 7:25 PM: - My grandson and I rode from Bowmanstown to Jim Thorpe and back today for a quick 16-mile ride in outstanding weather! He smoked me, too. Must be his bike.

Dat and an old fart. 

44 comments:

Anonymous said...

I biked to Jim Thorpe from Boyertown on Monday, and it was really nice. A bit warmer than Sunday. Friday will be around 80, so getting there early would be wise. Jim Thorpe was decent - a few tourists roaming around, Molly McGuires outdoor area was alive with lots of people. Remember to look for the overhead bridge as you approach Lehighton, and just as you go under it, a path goes off to the left up a slope. There is a line painted in the center of it. That is the trail, which then goes over the bridge and the river. Go through the village, up the hill and over the tracks, make a left and continue along the canal. Be careful going over the wood bridges they installed that take you above overflow washes of the canal. There are 2 or 3 of them, and they are on the left side going out and right coming back.

Anonymous said...

That's 48 miles round trip! Impressive.

Anonymous said...

Take pictures. The bear I mean.

Anonymous said...

I always used to pick up the trail in Cementon. I didn't know it extended to Coplay. I always wondered what happened to the rest of the railroad past Cementon. It goes past the house where my grandmother lived on 2nd street in Cementon and then across the river to Northampton where I went to highschool. I usually park near the LaForge cement plant with the large "Cementon" on the smoke stack. There is a fish bait store there. Coplay is a mile or 2 away up the street where the Giant food store is, formally Laneco.

Bernie O'Hare said...

1:14, Thanks for the directions. I get lost easily, lol.

Bath Bear said...

How could you forget about our many encounters at the Green Door Bernie?

Bernie O'Hare said...

"Friday will be around 80, so getting there early would be wise. "

It would be, but I am not wise. I like to sleep, and before I do anything, I have a stretching and abs routine I like to follow. That takes about 30. Plus I have to read the news, check emails, arrange work schedule and check in here. I will start around 11.

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the ride Bernie enjoy it!

The Banker

Anonymous said...

Sweating is good too, as long as you have water. Eager to hear how this worked out, and if there were any other spots where finding the trail is a challenge. D&L has really made improvements in recent years, to the trail surface and signage.

Anonymous said...

"I doubt you'll be that lucky."

to get an 80' probe stuck up my butt?

Anonymous said...

Damm Bernie you could end up on the side of the trail gasping for breath following wolf's order of the mask.
Common educate would go along with common sense giving the king's decree "Masks must be worn"?

Dennis P said...

So you plan to bike through East Penn Township , Carbon County twice today ... In doing so you will pass our Dog Park , our Frisbee Golf course and our Boat Ramps on the Lehigh River ... And our picnic areas ,,,Enjoy your passage through the Township I serve as one of 5 Supervisors... I have waked on the DL Trail from West Bowmanstown in the Township to a spot just short of the Bridge leading over the Lehigh to Slatington ... And from Slatington Main Street to the Airport.

Dennis P said...

Enjoy your ride from Coplay to Jim Thorpe and back ... Which means coming and going you will pass through East Penn Township, Carbon County ... A township I serve as one of 5 Supervisors ... In your excursion through East Penn Township you will notice a dog park, the Lehigh County and a creek ,,, Riverside Park on the banks of the Lehigh contains a few picnic areas, playground equipment, a Frisbee Golf Course and a Boat Ramp ... Enjoy the scene ... I do enjoy my walks on the DL Trail when I get the chance ... I do not own a bicycle ,,, The last time I used one was riding home from Bethlehem Steel in a rain storm and flew over the handle bars when I tried to break going down a hill.

Anonymous said...

Bernie, Hope you had an enjoyable ride and that it was everything I told you it would be. Since you went today, there probably were not as many people using it as on weekends.

Anonymous said...

Inquiring minds want to know - how did you make out? At 10mph, it is about 5hrs, if you can keep up the pace. Personally, I would crap out halfway through this marathon. You may be finishing up about now.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Made it! Will fill u in tomorrow.

Bernie O'Hare said...

"I biked to Jim Thorpe from Boyertown on Monday, and it was really nice" - I just caufght where you started. Holy shit! Did you bike up and back?

Bernie O'Hare said...

That's 55 miles one way!

Bernie O'Hare said...

"So you plan to bike through East Penn Township , Carbon County twice today ... In doing so you will pass our Dog Park , our Frisbee Golf course and our Boat Ramps on the Lehigh River ... And our picnic areas ,,,Enjoy your passage through the Township I serve as one of 5 Supervisors... I have waked on the DL Trail from West Bowmanstown in the Township to a spot just short of the Bridge leading over the Lehigh to Slatington ... And from Slatington Main Street to the Airport."

Dennis, it is beautiful there. If I'm not mistaken, there's a functioning rest room there and a spot to work on your bike.

Anonymous said...

I screwed up Bernie - Bowmanstown. Have no idea where Boyertown is, but it is evidently about 55 miles from Jim Thorpe :)

Anonymous said...

Bernie, Yes there is a restroom and a bike repair station along the trail at the East Penn Boat Launch. There is also a food truck in the parking lot on weekends. In case you missed it there is also a bike repair station at the Slatington Trailhead. At Lehighton if you continue up the trail on the spur you come to the Lehighton Outdoor Center and there is a pavilion just above that. This entire area use to be a rail yard for the LVRR Packerton shop.

The climb from the trail to Bridge St is much easier now since the paved path was built 2 years ago. Hope you enjoyed the trip along the Canal Towpath from Weissport to Jim Thorpe.

LVCI said...

the Canal Towpath from Weissport to Jim Thorpe...
One of our favorites by far. Must have done that ride 20 times or more. We usually brought the grand kids on that one and packed a lunch when they were young. Took tons of pictures too.

Bernie O'Hare said...

LVCI, It is beautiful, and the bridge into Jim Thorpe is quite nice. Let me ask you: do you notice the uphill ride? I did, but it could be that I was just getting tired.

LVCI said...

do you notice the uphill ride?
Not really since it's a short ride since we went only as far as the sewage treatment plant. Then turned around.

LVCI said...

Bernie I uploaded an old video from 2001. This was long before the bridge into Jim Thorpe was built. THIS IS THE LINK TO IT.

Yikes, 19 years ago!
Hard for me to believe It's been that long since I took this video. The wife hasn't changed much but I sure have :-)

Bernie O'Hare said...

Just watched the video. It is very nice. The trail today is in much better shape. A lot of the larger stones you rode over have been removed. I think the trail is a bit wider, too. You had to go thru one spillway. There is now a thin bridge so you can ford it or ride over. Did not see the "Bridge to Nowhere," which may be gone, nor a warning about snakes. You can now take it right into Jim Thorpe, which is awesome.

Anonymous said...

Do you have one of them snakes in your left hand in the picture on the bridge bernie?

Anonymous said...

When they built the Mansion House Bridge they also rebuilt the trail from the end of the Weissport Canal Park to the bridge. This use to be a single track trail. When you went around the sewer plant, you were actually trespassing on private property. Then you had to go through the former IGA parking lot and climb the hill to where the old bridge was that connected East Jim Thorpe to West Jim Thorpe. The new Mansion House Bridge and the rebuilt trail makes it a much nicer ride.

Bernie, after going through the parking lot at Jim Thorpe, the trail is wide again since you are again on former railroad right-of-way. Then you will again cross the Lehigh River on the Nesquehoning Junction Trestle that the trail shares with the railroad. When you get off the trestle you can choose to bike the gravel trail or go on the road to Glen Onoko. Once past Glen Onoko the trail is on the former Central of New Jersey Railroad right-of-way. This is a wide trail like between Cementon and Lehighton. It is this way all the way to White Haven. Once you pass Penn Haven Junction you will feel a slight increase in the grade.

Make sure you have plenty of water & protein bars because there is no place to get either between Jim Thorpe and White Haven.

Bernie O'Hare said...

"Do you have one of them snakes in your left hand in the picture on the bridge bernie?"

That is a satchel in which I keep phone wand wallet.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Pathfinder, You really are a pathfinder, lol. My goal is to make it to White Haven from Coplay and back in one day. That is almost a century. Thanks for the water reminder. When I trained for marathons, I used to plant water at strategic locations along the route of a long run. I also have a camelbak from my army days that holds 85 oz. That and a large water bottle and an orange or banana should be enough. Water is crucial. Another necessity for me in an endurance effort is caffeine. It dehydrates, but it also gives me a kick. When I bonked two weeks ago, I think now it was a lack of caffeine, not food.

Based on LVCI's video, the trail looks vastly improved over when he and his wife rode it, and it was pretty then, too. When I go north to Glen Onoko, will stay on trail bc I want to see the train tunnel. This is great stuff! It's an adventure every ride!

Anonymous said...

You look to be a slippery chacter anyways and satchel is a old time version of a fagbag.

Anonymous said...

I think that was water weight from all the salt and will be soon gone.

Bernie O'Hare said...

"You look to be a slippery chacter anyways and satchel is a old time version of a fagbag."

It is. I had a bag with a tube and tools in case I get a flat, and my wallet and phone fit into it, but I dropped it on my way to my car. I was reduced to using that satchel, which I do dislike. I will check with Naz police on Monday. Someone may have turned it in.

Anonymous said...

Bernie wrote: "1:14, Thanks for the directions. I get lost easily, lol.

June 12, 2020 at 8:42 AM"

I tried Bernie - I gave you good directions on how to get through Weissport. As you pass under the highway bridge approaching Lehighton, take the spur path with the painted line in the center up to the top of the slope, go over the bridge, through the village, up the hill and make a left after the railroad tracks.


Those were good directions. I was trying to prevent you from riding the 1/2 mile or so past that path, where you end up in Lehighton without a clue what to do next. Glad you made it - that is an achievement.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Nothing wrong with your directions. But the recipient is a little slow, lol. I like stopping at that bike and kayak shop anyway.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Going up with grandson today, but starting from Bowmanstown.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic day for a ride! Cool and crystal clear weather. Leave politics and COVID19 behind!

Anonymous said...

Bernie, After you get off the Nesquehoning Junction Trestle you can take either the trail or the road. I usually take the road because the trail is between the fence and the guardrail & is narrow. You can see the Keyhole Tunnel at Glen Onoko from the bridge over the Lehigh which both cross. From the last parking lot you can walk into the tunnel to the guardrail at the end where it exits at the river. Suggest you pack a small flashlight because footing in bike shoes can be slippery. Enjoy your ride!

I biked Cementon (MM 83) to the pavilion in Lehighton just past the Lehighton Outdoor Center and back yesterday. Beautiful day for a ride. Today I went from my house in South Allentown on the road bike out to a & around Trexlertown and back.

Anonymous said...

On Memorial Day I biked with a friend from White Haven to Cementon. It is a 49 mile ride. It took us 3 hrs 38 min. I would send you pictures from that ride but I don't know how to attach them when commenting here. The best scenery of the ride is between Glen Onoko & White Haven. Hoping to do bike Glenn Summit to Cementon around July 4. That will be a 60 mile ride. I hear the Black Diamond Trail north of White Haven is scenic but the trail is not in the same condition at through the Gorge.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Man, you are movin' fast. Can't wait to head farther north on my next trip. Gotta' figure out a way in which you can load pictures.

Chris W said...

The Bridge to Nowhere is still there

Bernie O'Hare said...

Yep. Saw it on Sunday, lol.

Anonymous said...

Don't get caught up too much on eating more calories than you burned. If you keep riding your metabolism will increase slightly, plus your muscles need the fuel for quite some time - well after a long ride.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Can't get obsessed, but I have to pay attention. Even when I exercise hard, I put on weight very easily. Plus I'm trying to adjust to being able to eat more, but not too much more. I have been a yo yo my entire adult life, which is not good.