About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Getting the Cemetery Vote

I used to take my grandson's dog for walks in a cemetery located close to his house. It gave her a chance to romp and run after rabbits and squirrels in an urban community. None of the residents complained. I certainly meant no disrespect. I always cleaned up.

Regardless of my intentions, I was being disrespectful and ignorant, not to the dead, but the family members who would visit. I found that out when one of them yelled at me. He was in grief, and should not have had to deal with some dog darting between the tombstones.

People do strange things in graveyards. Jews like to pile small stones atop the marker for each visit made. At one gravestone, I once saw a six-pack, supposedly for the Great Beyond.

Instead of a six-pack, District Judge candidate Shana Restucci's brother posted one of her campaign signs on her dad's grave site. As Shana explains it, "Shad [that's her brother] did it out of no disrespect to anything or anybody. He did it because my dad would be proud of me, because my dad always wanted me to run for this position if the opportunity ever arose. He did it because my dad would be my biggest supporter."

Sign or not, I don't think she'll be getting her dad's vote.

Unfortunately for Shana, Rich Yetter campaign treasurer Lewis Gruppo saw the sign, snapped a picture, and posted it on Facebook. He complains about her lack of respect for the dead, and follows that with a definition of "temperament." He never bothers explaining why he found it necessary to post a picture that is so disrespectful.

Donna Yetter, who just happens to be married to District Judge candidate Richard Yetter, weighs in. "No words can even describe how wrong this is."

I have to admit, this is a new one for me. I believe that Shana's brother, Shad, was trying to give his Dad a message, and had no desire to be disrespectful. It's probably a lot less offensive than letting a dog run wild. On the other hand, political signs offend most people, no matter where they are.
Updated 10 AM: An Ex-candidate Speaks. - "I actually understand Shana Restucci's brother's actions no matter how different they might be. When I ran for xxxxxxx, I had my official campaign portrait done ... with an American Flag behind me, not because it makes me patriotic or because I served our country ( I was not in the military), but I did it to honor my father's memory as a tip of the hat to his military service in WW II and Korea and for his patriotism in doing so. Make no mistake about that, I'd have done it if he were still alive as well, just out of his son's respect for his service. So I understand the Restucci's desire to connect her candidacy to their father, and others should pause a moment before they try to use it as a political tool."

9 comments:

Olive Peeke said...

Obviously some people just don't have any class while others have no sense of humor but then all pols are whores in one form or the other

Anonymous said...

Of course it is disrespectful to allow a dog to run around a cemetary! You TOOL!

Anonymous said...

TOTAL DISRESPECT!!!! Everyone always has an excuse for their poor judgement...lack of respect, etc.
THIS IS WRONG!!!!! No need for any justification. Apologize and admit it is WRONG!!!!! We are in a world of over-analyzing and it is overkill now! ENOUGH!!!!Lets stick to the issue, qualifications and educational backgrounds of these candidates.

Anonymous said...

Bernie
You just look to capitalize on negativity and are totally DISRESPECTFUL!!! Enough said on this too!!! Try doing something positive and rewarding. hard to imagine you get self gratification attacking others. Now I know why we are in the position we are as a society and it is disturbing. Hope you don't pass on any of this to your grandson...not a good example.

Bernie O'Hare said...

These comments pretty much convince me that this is much ado about nothing.

Anonymous said...

The puppetmaster pulls bernie's strings and the puppet dances.

Misery loves company

Bernie O'Hare said...

Like I said, these comments convince me this is much ado about nothing.

BabaBooey said...

Speaking about doing odd things in a cemetary:



http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2011/04/25/police-delaware-man-71-arrested-after-exposing-himself-inside-cemetery/

Bernie O'Hare said...

Definitely a bit odd. I think that was my uncle.