About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Hayfever in Full Bloom

Hayfever.

It really does a number on me, and gets worse every year. It only lasts about a month, but it's a month of the year I like to spend outside watching kids play baseball. The main treatment - antihistamines - is worse than the disease. One pill knocks me out and makes me even more goofy than usual. I stopped taking medicine years ago. I just suffer.

I'm a Catholic.


Late yesterday afternoon, I was at an old baseball field behind the Fullerton American Legion, sneezing loudly between every ball I threw. Whatever happened to my back over the winter makes it hard for me to throw or even bend over. But we were trying out a wooden bat and had tape and everything.

I threw a ball to one kid and - WHACK! - nailed in the right shin. After a few moments of agony, I threw a ball to another kid and - WHACK! - nailed in the left shin.

So now, I'm a constantly sneezing fat guy with water dripping out of my nose. I can't bend over and have matching lumps on two legs.

If I were a horse, someone would just shoot me.

Tonight? Baseball practice. I'll even blow off a Northampton County council meeting for that. At least someone else will be throwing.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, when they hit it back up thru the box, i hope you did what any self-respecting pitcher would do...

dust 'em. a little chin music will back those little buggers off the plate.

Bernie O'Hare said...

I try, but those little brats are too damn nimble.

Angie Villa said...

BernO,

I've heard of a homeopathic remedy that is supposed to be great. I am having same problem with allergies and I am going to try this. It's called NeilMed Sinus Rinse.

Anonymous said...

Zyrtec D is now over the counter, and it is the best medicine I've ever tried for seasonal allergies. It takes affect pretty much right away, so you'll know if it's right for you after a day or so.

As someone who finally ended up with allergy shots, I feel for you. Hope you find something that works well, or at least that hay fever season passes quickly.

Anonymous said...

My vote for allergy relief is tequila - the miracle cure!

Bernie O'Hare said...

Sadly, I'm allergic to that, too.

Anonymous said...

That hurts worse than hay fever!

Good luck w/ it man, not a fun time of the year.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I get the point -- but somehow I think there are some people who might not like the horse-shooting comment. Namely buzz bissinger.

tag

he hates bloggers too.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Never fall in love with a horse.