About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Wednesday, May 09, 2018

McClure Has Lunch With Retirees

Lamont McClure
About 200 Northampton County retirees descended upon Northampton Memorial Community Center at high noon yesterday for a delicious lunch of roasted chicken, pasta, sausage, salad, scalloped potatoes and carrots. Executive Lamont McClure was the featured speaker, and wasted no time telling retirees exactly what he thinks of them.

"You have forgotten more about County government than I will ever know," McClure asserted. He also asked them to send him any ideas they might have to make county government better.

McClure also announced that he has ended the practice, first started under former Executive Bill Brackbill, of deducting for medical. Whatever the deal is when an employee is hired is the deal that will be in place at retirement.

"Your benefits cannot be reduced," he said."That will never happen."

Gerald E "Jerry" Seyfried
Retirees should notice a difference in their may checks.For some, it is as little as $6. But for a few, it is $300.

This semi-annual tradition is organized by former County Exec Gerald E "Jerry" Seyfried. He told his captive audience that he had a dream that he had died and met St. Peter at the pearly gates. As he peered inside, he saw Ron Heckman, who was being beaten and kicked by a very angry woman.

"What's up with that?"

"Ron is being punished for his sins," answered St. Peter.

Jerry looked again and saw me, draped all over a gorgeous woman.

"What's up with that?"

"She is being punished for her sins," answered St. Peter.

Bastard!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are the taxpayers being hit up for the lunch like the healthcare?

Bernie O'Hare said...

Taxpayers pay for neither the lunches nor healthcare. The healthcare is being paid from a separate pension fund, and the lunches are paid for by retirees,. This ugly comment obviously comes from Tricia Mezzacappa, aka Tricia Phillips.

Anonymous said...

Then why aren't the retirees eligible for 20 years of back pay plus interest from the pension fund?

Anonymous said...

Bernie you only attend for the good meal lol!!!!!

E Mest said...

We the retires are happy to pay our own way. That's what public servants do! It's costs us each 25.00 for that delicious meal and all the fellowship we want. It's a wonderful day!

Anonymous said...

As an employee about to retire, I'd like to ask he executive office about sending out a memo to all employees about the changes in the healthcare coverage at retirement and stating it is to be based on time of hire. Also to be updated in the personnel handbook as well please. I just don't trust gov't anymore and like to see this in official documentation to all employees .

Bernie O'Hare said...

"Bernie you only attend for the good meal lol!!!!!"

The food there is always excellent. Don't think i've ever had better sausage.

Anonymous said...

The "separate pension" fund Bernie refers to is funded by whom? The money just appears there? No The county taxpayers foot the bill. why is it those that do NOT pay county taxes even have the guts to say anything?

Bernie O'Hare said...

Wrong. It is funded by the employees.

Anonymous said...

better recheck that. The County does contribute to the pension

Anonymous said...

The County does contribute to the pension

Yup. It's funded by a combination of employee contributions, county (taxpayer)contributions and portfolio earnings. The county (taxpayer) contribution is 11.1 million for 2018!

Bernie O'Hare said...

Ok. It is a combination.

Anonymous said...

Will he fix our major medical limit?

Anonymous said...

Amen!

Bernie O'Hare said...

I believe that he wilL.

Anonymous said...

11 million is alot of money to just pass off as oh yeah the county contributes. The county outs more in then the employees.

Bernie O'Hare said...

I did not pass anything off.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Bernie for reporting on County issues.

Anonymous said...

As a retiree who served 21 years at the county, I would like to say that I have never taken from the county what I didn't earn. I contributed to my own pension fund, and pay for my own healthcare, including my Medicare B and D plans, which cost me an extra $170 per month. I am glad that I will get this reduction in my monthly statement. I worked hard as a county employee, putting in hundreds of hours over the years that I never received payment for, so all you taxpayers would get timely service even when I was supposed to be off the clock. My own supervisors didn't realize how many hours I put in while everyone else was out the door by 430 pm. I don't care what others may say about us, because I know better. I wasn't the only one who worked like this. And I had to leave my job before I was ready to retire in order to care for my ailing parents, something that I still do even to this day. So I lost that earning power that could have yielded me a much nicer pension. But I am not bitter. Just disappointed in how those who don't know any better can kick the very people who have devoted their lives to helping others less fortunate than me.

Bernie O'Hare said...

11:52, you are getting only what is right by law.