About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, May 21, 2018

Your Government in Action!

Blogger's Note: Below is a report from Dr. Stephen Thode, director of the Murray H. Goodman Center for Real Estate Studies at Lehigh University. Though he's in academia, he's a rare conservative. The story below certainly helps explain why.

Last year, the Veterans Administration announced that it would be issuing ID cards to honorably discharged veterans. The ID cards are known as VIC.

For years, many of us have been lobbying for such an ID card as many businesses offer discounts and other considerations to veterans (and not just on Veterans Day!). The need for the card arose from the "proof" many merchants required to determine whether one was a veteran. Commonly, they would ask for a copy of the Form DD-214 (Report of Separation from Active Duty). That document contains all sorts of personal information many veterans (including me) were not willing to share. So, many of us veterans would forgo the discounts and/or other considerations.

The Veterans ID Card contains no such personal information. A photo of mine is attached.

So, the ID program was launched last November and I immediately attempted to apply. I was informed that "due to overwhelming response" the VA was not able to process my application. But, I was advised to request a spot on the "waiting list" (which I did).

Two months later, I received an email saying the VA would now accept my application which I promptly filed. A mere 5 weeks later, the VA "approved" my application. Another 10 weeks passed before I received an email saying my ID card would be sent. 13 days later (last Monday), it arrived in the mail. That's a mere 6 months after I initially attempted to apply.

There are those of us who are skeptical of government. And most of us have good reason. As Americans, we generally detest monopolies. We love competition. Government has no competition so it can give the middle finger to any poor schmuck any time it wants, and that poor schmuck is told, "You'll take it. And, you'll like it."

Name the last low-level government bureaucrat you know who was fired for cause.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did the VA tell you when you inquired as to the delay?

Bernie O'Hare said...

When you ask someone whom has identified himself a question, I expect you to do so as well. Ok?

Anonymous said...



Any vet with an approved application can print the card right off the website. That card is valid immediately and will be honored until the plastic card arrives.


That information comes from Military.com


William Sherman said...

Bernie, I was issued a V.A. photo I.D. a few years ago ,It looks nothing like the one shown in your story.Has 2 series of numbers and a bar-code.Good thing I looked at it as it expires in 2027(I will be long dead)

Anonymous said...

So we have a government office validating these applications for the sole purpose of supporting private industry discounts to military veterans. In other words, I am paying the salary of this staff so private industry can offer a selective discount for which I'm not eligible and the problem is they didn't process it fast enough? How about private industry pay the government to issue the IDs they need to offer their discount?