About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Tidd Suddenly Resigns as Magisterial District Judge

At this time last year, David Tidd was announcing his bid for re-election as Magisterial District Judge in Hellertown and Lower Saucon Township. It was a position he had held since 2009, and despite facing two formidable opponents, he emerged as the sole nominee of both parties in the May primary, assuring his election in November. But on Friday, he suddenly resigned his position.

Though most magisterial district judges have no outside employment, this is a part-time job that pays $88,290 per year, and is automatically adjusted by the cost of living index. There's full medical benefits and the pension is vested after ten years. So, absent some illness or legal miscues, it's rare to see a magisterial district judge just step away.

Yet that's exactly what Judge Tidd did. "Refereeing the game is not what I want to do," he said. "I want to be in the game."

Tidd maintains a private law practice in Hellertown, and has been a lawyer for 16 years.

Tidd denies that his resignation is related in any way to ethical complaints filed against him during his re-election campaign.

David Repyneck, one of Tidd's primary opponents, told me during that campaign that "your boy TIdd is currently under investigation for Judicial Misconduct. Did you know that ??????"

When I pressed Repyneck, he was at first evasive, calling it "word on the street." Then it was anonymous sources that he was unable to reveal. He finally acknowledged that he filed one complaint and his wife another.

Repyneck filed a complaint against Tidd because he did not like the way Tidd spoke to his wife when she was circulating a petition on her husband's behalf. That's obviously frivolous on its face.

A second complaint against Tidd, filed during the primary, concerns Tidd's representation of Repyneck's wife in December 2012. She was being sued in a collection matter, and Tidd was recommended as a good bankruptcy lawyer. Neither he nor she was aware that he was the judge in the collections matter. Once he became aware, the matter was transferred to another magisterial district judge.

Tidd has never heard a word from the Judicial Conduct Board about either complaint. But Tidd added that what Repyneck "put me through really took a toll."

He also explained that, a judge in a small jurisdiction is going to make people unhappy. And these are people he knows and sees every day. He added that, contrary to what people think, magisterial district judges have two bosses - the County President Judge and the state.

He lamented that, while he received lots of phone calls from police officers and regulars to thank him, he heard nothing from Easton.

Tidd can rescind his decision, but must do so by March 1.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

It appears that he and his wife filed for chapter 13 bankruptcy last year. Really makes me wonder why he would give up a steady paycheck and benefits if that's the case.

Bernie O'Hare said...

David had a serious illness for a time, and his wife was out of work. This resulted in a vast reduction of income and put him behind on bills. Hence the bankruptcy. It happens. I think he gives uop a steady paycheck bc he is tired ob=f the backroom sniping like the one in your anonymous comment. He won't have to read that garbage once he steps away. People like you drive people like him away.

Unknown said...

I had the unfortunate chance to be in front of Judge Tidd with a minor child that was unruly at the time. I had hoped he would, as a judge, help me as a single full time working parent, send her in the right direction. Instead I was berated in the court and told I was not doing my job as a parent, although Judge Tidd does not know me at all. I was threatened with jail time and spoken to in a way that no one deserves. Glad he is gone. My opinion of course. My name, Donna Barabas long time resident of Hellertown

Bernie O'Hare said...

Perhaps this is exactly what you needed to hear. Too many people these days think they or their children can do no wrong and tend to blame everyone else for their own problems. My opinion of course.

Unknown said...

Perhaps not. I have never felt my children "do no wrong." As grown adults, you and I, or children, mistakes are made. Hopefully We learn from them and change for the better. Rudeness and disrespect, not warranted. My opinion again.

Bernie O'Hare said...

I just deleted three anonymous personal attacks. If you can't sign your name, what you say is worthless.

Unknown said...

Perhaps not. I have never felt my children "do no wrong." As grown adults, you and I, or children, mistakes are made. Hopefully We learn from them and change for the better. Rudeness and disrespect, not warranted. My opinion again.

Anonymous said...

Sad news.

Magistrate Tidd was always fair to me and my clients.

Anonymous said...

Dave was a good MDJ, and is a good guy. Sorry that he seems to have some trouble. I saw him this past fall and he said the race took a toll on him mentally and physically. He has had some health issues he said. He was on leave from his court to deal with his health at the time.

Anonymous said...

MDJ Tidd was always a nice guy when the case I was working took me through his office. Was always looking to help and always had a smile. I'll miss him.

Hank_Hill

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bernie O'Hare said...

If you want to slam someone, say who you are. This is nor being defense. This is good manners, something you apparently lack.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bernie O'Hare said...

Anonymity is no excuse for sliming someone. I will no longer tolerate the filth that comes from cowards lke you. Post your hate on LVL.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bernie O'Hare said...

Yet another attempt to anonymously slur from a coward.

Anonymous said...

Gary W. Gorman posts:

You have my support, Dave, where you go. I supported you in the primary and I will continue to support you. My best to you and your family. always. peace.

Anonymous said...

Express Times article today:
http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/bethlehem/index.ssf/2016/02/hellertown_area_district_judge.html

Bernie O'Hare said...

The ET article was yesterday, not today, and several hours after i broke this story. The only reason to link to it is for the hate comments that are posted anonymously.

Dreaming of Justice said...

Gotta love the sneering cheap shot artists...being a Magistrate is a public service. Does any one think running a private law practice pays less?

Anonymous said...

I received information that Judge Tidd rescinded his resignation and will be staying on as MDJ for what he was elected to. Sometimes times are hard and you need a breather..I'm assuming that is the case and he had a change of thought. I have known Judge Tidd to be fair and competent in my dealings with him.

Fred Schoenenberger
PA State Constable

Bernie O'Hare said...

Will contact him.

Peter J.Cochran said...

Children are just that. A parent or a JUDGE should know it. In anY case if you live the high line and have no substance the boat sinks. Bankruptcy is no excuse. --AND- if you can't handle your own household economics and you put yourself out to judge others --Well ,I would have a problem with you of that . IMPOSTER comes to mind. Lot's of imposters that are in charge of PUBLIC FUNDS and school boards funds and city administrations.----IMPOSTRESTERS---

Peter J.Cochran said...

what--Fred you are the man - what is going on - you would know better than anyone.

Anonymous said...

Yes I do Pete. LOL

Fred