About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Friday, March 13, 2009

Former MC Reporter Dick Cowen: "Ancient History"

Retired Morning Call reporter Dick Cowen always had a knack for telling a great story in very few words. It's a gift I never learned. His latest ditty, "Ancient History," is below.

About 25 years ago, we moved from an old farmhouse in the village of Locust Valley to a row house in the 500 block of N. 5th Street in Allentown's Old Fairgrounds Historic District. It was located about a half dozen houses south of towering Dubbs Church at 5th and Allen.
In that bygone time, the church bulletin board one week listed a guest speaker for Scout Sunday.


It was John Karoly.


His topic: "Building Character."

Film at 11.

7 comments:

Sanctifying Grace said...

I am taking a break from my midterms. The Holy Trinity (Triune God) and Philosophies of Ettienne Gilson, Avicenna, Aristotle, St. Thomas Aquinas, ... are kicking my butt. Maybe I should lay some of my Eastern Theology on their Latin/Roman butts! After all, Big Bossman J.C. and the Boys were of Middle Eastern persuasion.

But you know Bern, when I worked at the court house, a few of us used to compare notes. We would kind of keep track of when we would have the most traffic at our offices. This "unofficial study" especially proved true when I worked at domestics. We would get the most complaints either the week before or the week after the full moon of the lunar cycle.

I do not think that "data" holds true at your blog. It appears over the past few months, that you get the wackiest comments right around full moon.

I think I need some funding from you regarding my study...

Peace, ~~Alex

Bernie O'Hare said...

Father Alex, the check is in the mail.

If what you say is true, the insanity will subside. But we've got an election coming up. That might have a little more impact than the full moon.

Blah Society said...

Just what we need...

The Bernie O'Hare Stimulus Package.

Anonymous said...

I do not understand how Mr.Karoly knew he could launder his money thru Dubbs Church.I was always confused why the old neighborhood police office was in the Church

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

How can anyone make a contribution to a church and then have them transfer the contribution of another "charity".