About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Antonia Grifo Makes It Official - She's Running for District Judge

Antonia Grifo with mother Leonarda and husband Ron Shipman
From her Spring Garden Street law offices, Antonia Grifo made it official yesterday. She's running for the District Judge seat in which Gay Elwell served so well before her untimely death a few weeks ago.

In a post yesterday, I provided you with some biographical details about Antonia. But I was still surprised during her announcement.

First, though she comes from a staunch Republican background, Antonia is actually a Democrat. But as she was quick to remind everyone yesterday, judicial races are nonpartisan. She'll be cross-filing.

Second, Easton Attorney Theresa Hogan, who was rumored to be running for the job herself, dropped by to endorse Antonia. "I heard that, too," smiled Theresa about the political gossip, which I shared. She and Antonia actually grew up together. "She's ready for this," said Hogan. "Our community should be excited about this opportunity."

Third, Grifo really wants this. Noting that the minor judiciary is often "the first and only contact a wide range of citizens have with our system of justice," she has no desire to use this as a stepping stone and will, in fact, give up her practice if elected. For her, it's a full-time job.

Fourth, she's already signed up for minor judiciary course. As a practicing attorney, she has no obligation to do this, but said she wants to "hit the ground running."

In addition to Theresa, Grifo's husband, Ron Shipman, was there. He is one of Northampton County's finest lawyers. Her son, Chris Shipman, came, too. He's another good lawyer whose name you've likely seen in the newspapers. I neglected to get his picture.

For me, the biggest treat was seeing and speaking to Antonia's mother, Leonarda Grifo. You might know her as the widow of one of Northampton County's finest judges, Richard D. Grifo. You might know her as the mother to Antonia, an excellent attorney. I know her as a tireless advocate for many local causes that make Easton a better place. One of these is the Easton Area Community Center, which provides a home for 2300+ at-risk children between 3 and 7 PM every day.

Antonia calls her an 87 year-old dynamo.

Like her mother, Antonia has been involved on numerous local causes, from the Spring Garden Children's Center to the Boys and Girls Club of Easton.

Her Mom wears white glasses, too, a point Antonia made with me yesterday.

So for you readers who were having fun with Antonia's white glasses with all those damn Mrs. Potato Head jokes, thanks a frickin' lot. Don't you think I get into enough trouble on my own, without your help?

Next time I get a parking ticket, I might as well just report to jail.

Seriously, I consider Antonia a class act who will make a great judge if you choose to elect her.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice glasses!

Anonymous said...

Bernie,

Did you take both of the pictures of Ms. Grifo in both of your posts? Because she appears to be wearing the same exact clothes, jewelry, glasses, and etc. in both of those pictures. Weird?

Bernie O'Hare said...

I only took the second picture.

Anonymous said...

Easton and Bethlehem have so many fine people and so much going for them.

Allentown is such a dysfunctional s%#thole.

Anonymous said...

This lady is probably going to blow everyone else out of the water, especially since Hogan isn't going to run. That is of course, if Corbett doesn't appoint.

Anonymous said...

What is th edeal with htose glasses. It must be a family thing.

Or more like a Jackie O, no!

Anonymous said...

Lance Wheeler all the way, no disrespect Mrs. Grifo

Anonymous said...




She want's the post for the PENSION, and FULL HEALTH CARE BENEFITS UPON RETIREMENT...this includes assisted living.
The Salary is approx. $84,000.00
She also needs a NEW SET of GLASSES!!!

Bernie O'Hare said...

5:47, Can't you say every candidate wants the job for the pension? My impression is that Grifo wants the job for the right reason - she cares. Easton is luck to have a number of good candidates looking at this position.

Anonymous said...

this job does not need a non-attorney who will make a fool out of themself. It is easy job for a lawyer and over the head of someone like Lqance wahtever.

Anonymous said...

Sharbel doesn't have a clue!!! Lance is aiming way too high!!! Antonia has the full package.

Anonymous said...




ELTON JOHN WOULD BE PROUD.

Peter J Cochran said...

Bernie ,This lady is the present choice of mine.I am A Republican. I will IMPEACH any person that does not hold water after this week with any evidence I may obtain to send them out of this race. This lady has the right stuff and just because you can collect votes does not makes you worthy! I will work for Ms. Grifo . So... Get P&Q all together early and ask your self if , Am I IMPEACHABLE ? If so then stay out!!!!

Bernie O'Hare said...

Peter, She is an impressive person whom I believe will be very fair if elected. She's already very committed to her community. But Peter, please be nice to everyone, just like me.

Peter J. Cochran said...

Bernie I like the hell out of you!I am a Miserable Bastard too ,and my spouse who is James Hemstreet;s number 3 Daughter would tell you that.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Peter, Maybe I should start a Miserable Bastard of the Year award, but I think I'd win every year.

Anonymous said...

Impeach who? Out of the three people that have expressed interest, only one is an elected official: Wheeler. Koorie is a public servant, but not elected. And you support Grifo. So how bad can a constable like Wheeler be?

Anonymous said...

Good grief! Anyone who wears peepers like those should join a circus.

Bernie O'Hare said...

You guys are trying to get me thrown in jail. Don't you think I get in enough trouble without our help?

Anonymous said...

I was planning to run but I decided not to when I couldn't find my white glasses.

Anonymous said...

Apparently you do not know Mr. Wheelers background.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are a bigot and a racist!

Peter J.Cochran said...

From Miserable Bastard No.13 to anonymous poster about HOW BAD some one can be?My post was not aimed at anyone personally in the grid for election,As a matter of fact Constable Wheeler as you mention, has got to be squeaky clean to pass the Commonwealth Act 41 vetting process. He is smart, he is a family man, and knows a lot about what goes on.He is just not my choice ,no disrespect to him or Sharbel or the Rock church man.I only say that I will be paying attention!This office is too busy to get screwed up by an immature person of character or ability.That is why I do not wish to get in myself...at least 2 people so far are better than me,and I admit that to you all.Thank you for your support in the past.Good luck all.

Anonymous said...

No his background has nothing to do with his nationality and or color of skin. I'm presently dating someone who is half African and half Muslim. I'm far from a racist sir. Mr. Wheeler doesn't have the professionalism or integrity for the position.

Anonymous said...

6:01, just to save you from getting in trouble with the person you're dating. Muslim is a religion not an ethnicity. A person cannot be half Muslim, you either are Muslim or you are not Muslim.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Maybe he's only Muslim in the morning.

Anonymous said...

Bernie, I don't think she could have enrolled in the minor judiciary course because its not open to registration yet. Perhaps she misspoke?

Bernie O'Hare said...

If there is an inaccuracy, it is mine. I know she sad something to the effect that she either did register or would do so as soon as she could.