About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, August 15, 2023

Cycling Commutes

During the summer months, I try to avoid driving as much as I can and hop on a bicycle. I can be holier-than-thou, and claim I'm doing my part to save the environment. The truth, however, is that it's a lot cheaper and I really enjoy it. But yesterday's ride was a bit too much of a good thing. 

When I ride to the courthouse, it's mostly downhill. Mostly. There are still some hills. If I turn from Bushkill Dr. to 13th Street, I have to climb a fairly steep hill with a lot of traffic and several lights. It's also fairly narrow,. If I continue on Bushkill Drive and turn to head to 7th Street, there's an even steeper hill and narrower street. So yesterday, I decided on another route from Nazareth, taking me along Country Club Road and past the AAA and Louise Moore Park. The hill there is more manageable. I was unaware that, about a half mile beyond the park, the bridge over Route 22 is longer there. I had to circle back and ride through several hills. So it was a challenge. 

When I left for home, I cheated. I rode part of the way and hopped on a LANTA bus. I love the bike racks on front and, as a senior, I ride free. 

Another concern is rain. Last week, I was caught in several downpours I cheated then, too. 

Is traffic a problem? Most people are very courteous. Today I pissed off a driver on 13th Street in Easton when I had trouble getting a move on after the light turned green at the top of the hill. Other than a loud horn and a few epithets that are mild compared to what I read on this blog, I was unscathed.      

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard you were pedaling your ass around town but I didn't know how to take it. Now I understand. I was told you were trying to take off 20 pounds of ugly fat. I suggested you might want to cut off your head. That should take care of the ugly fat problem. We might bust on you good buddy, but it's just because we love you. Have a good day.

Anonymous said...

Cyclists are assholes, mostly. That's why they're treated as such. I propose a law that requires them to wear orange traffic cones on their heads while on public streets, a dunce cap of sorts.

Mike4ro said...

I once had a horrific accident while riding a shopping cart down that 7th street hill by Porters! Good hill to avoid!

Bernie O'Hare said...

Mike, lol, what the hell were you doing in a shopping cart?

Bernie O'Hare said...

"Cyclists are assholes, mostly."

I know I am. A bastard, too.

Anonymous said...

Ill give you a little love Ohare, I am impressed by how much biking you do especially for a guy in his 70's....keep training for our pickleball duel!

Dumbass

trent sear said...

I was on the LANTA board with Steve Schmitt back in the early days of the LANTA bike racks and I think of Steve every time I see a bus go by with bikes on the rack. I'm so glad the Authority keeps the bike racks active and well maintained. I use the bike racks routinely to get from West Allentown to the Nor-Bath Trail in Northampton, to the Palmer/Bethlehem Township Bikeway and most often to downtown Bethlehem and/or Southside Bethlehem. As a casual biker, I'm always on the lookout for avoiding hills and getting a bus ride back to Allentown.

Bernie O'Hare said...

I'm with you on the hills, lol. My main opposition to the 13th Street hill in Easton is that I consider it dangerous. My main opposition to the 7th Street hill in EaSton is that it is too steep. I can do the 13th Street hill, but doubt very much that I could get up 7th. Today I drive for the first time in two weeks, but it is bc I am carrying two bikes to ride with my grandson on Ironton Trail.