About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Thursday, July 13, 2023

Who Helped Luis Campos After He Collapsed During a Run?

On Friday, I told you that Easton City Administrator Luis Campos collapsed while out on a run in his College Hill Neighborhood. I've since learned he's doing well. That's certainly due to his own physical condition, but also to the people who helped him.

Easton City Council person-elect Frank Pintabone made it a point to track these folks down and acknowledge them on Facebook:  

"Today, I want to take a moment to express my deepest gratitude to four extraordinary individuals who deserve all our appreciation and thanks!

"In times of unexpected emergencies, it's truly heartwarming to witness the

remarkable acts of kindness and bravery displayed by the people in our community. Two incredible residents of Easton, Ginger [Consatntine] and Andrew [Brandon], went above and beyond when our City Administrator Luis Campos faced an unforeseen crisis. Without hesitation, they jumped into action, providing immediate assistance to Luis.

"But it doesn't end there. In just a matter of seconds, Officer Nimmons and Hinnis arrived at the scene, taking charge and ensuring the situation was under control.

"Their quick response and professionalism were crucial during this challenging time.

"I want to emphasize that it's because of these four amazing individuals that our story today has a happy ending! Their selflessness, courage, and dedication to helping others are truly inspirational.

"Please join me in giving a BIG shout-out to Ginger, Anthony, Officer Nimmons, and Officer Hinnis for their outstanding efforts and outstanding commitment to our community. Let's show them the appreciation they rightly deserve!"

Easton police officers are trained in CPR.

I don't know about social workers. 



14 comments:

Craig DeFranco said...

Well said. Thank you to all.

Anonymous said...

What about the ambulance crew that transported him to the hospital and provided advanced life support? Are they not important?

Anonymous said...

PDs have long and changing histories. I grew up in Easton with racist cops. As a young adult, I remember the cop-run burglary ring in the 80s. The 2000s gave us the rogue drunk cop years. Cops are good today. That's good for today. It won't always be like that because history instructs us. Re: CPR, I've recently read that a large majority of those saved by CPR wished they hadn't been. It's counterintuitive, but victims seem to wish that bystanders simply stand by. Weird ethical decision in the era of "everybody learns CPR." Nobody wants to seen as not doing something, whatever something is. I wish Luis well, if he wishes that for himself.

Bernie O'Hare said...

You are correct when your state that as much as 50% of those who receive CPR wish they had not. I was a bit surprised to find this study. https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2023/05/29/1177914622/a-natural-death-may-be-preferable-for-many-than-enduring-cpr

I believe that it probably depends on the age of the person receiving it. Someone who is older and frail is more likely to suffer cracked ribs and a broken sternum. I personally believe that, once I hit 75, I will decline any medical intervention except for flu shots and anti-inflammatories. The reason is that we are not designed to live forever. We are all supposed to die. I'd rather die than live in a diminished state. But there are those who'd prefer to live, and when someone is unconscious, you can't wait until they wake up to ask.

Bernie O'Hare said...

"What about the ambulance crew that transported him to the hospital and provided advanced life support? Are they not important?"

Very, and if I knew who they were, I'd call them out as well. My grandson was born very sick and spent the first six months of his life in a hospital. He was heavily medicated, and after being released, he suffered from epilepsy until he was about 10. He was vey active but all of a sudden he would stop, hesitate a few seconds and collapse. It is a terrible thing to watch. I recall one incident in particular in which Easton firefighters responded and helped get Dat to a hospital. One of the persons who gave aide was Mike Krill. I have a deep respect and admiration for all first responders. They certainly contribute more to society than I. But I try to be helpful when I can.

No slight was intended.

Anonymous said...

Constatin

Anonymous said...

It has been reported in the news that Campos will be out of work about two months. I wonder if he will get his full city hall pay all that time ? And if so would the city do the same for a blue collar city employee?

Anonymous said...

Bernie:

"I'd rather die than live in a diminished state" Bernie that ship has left the dock and there's no getting it back, like closing the barn door after the horse got out. You get the picture.

Anonymous said...

Golly Bernie, I am an old lady pushing 77 and life is still good. I walk or hike someplace every day. Some medical interventions can help keep you going and enjoying your day. But you have to be a wise consumer and, yes, suspicious of medical recommendations/interventions. However, we all have a best by use date. And when that day comes, I hope to be having a ball in heaven before the devil even knows I am gone. Enjoy your column every day even when you piss ne off.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Lol, I got that idea from Dr. Ezekiel Emanuelandhis piece in The Atlantic: "https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/10/why-i-hope-to-die-at-75/379329/

Anonymous said...

City employees get so many sick days and vacation days a year by their bargaining agreements. All supervisory employees get the same.

Anonymous said...

It seems concerning that the Easton Mayor and other council members shared specifics about Luis’ health issues before he was able to put out his own statement. I would be concerned that commenting publicly violates HIPAA laws since he is a city employee. His heart and health are now public record and would push him into a pre-qualifying condition category. Hoping that they waited until Luis gave them a clear and I medicated consent. I find it disgusting that these officials are using his health condition as social media content.

I wish him a speedy and full recovery.

Anonymous said...

Unless permission was granted by the family and or Luis.

Bernie O'Hare said...

2:26, You have a basic misunderstanding of HIPAA. Neither Easton's Mayor nor any council member has violated it. It seems to me that you have a bug up your ass about Easton government. There are many reasons to complain about Easton. This is not one of them. Nor is the appointment of an acting Administrator. That is necessarily an implied power, a point Hamilton made many years ago.