About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, May 15, 2023

Who Do You Support in Tuesday's Election?

Tomorrow is election day, so I thought I should give you all an opportunity to make your final arguments. Here are mine.

Northampton County Judicial race. - Brian Panella and Nancy Aaroe have cross-filed. An overwhelming number of lawyers have contributed to Panella. This tells me he is the best person for this job. Although it's hard to imagine he'd win the Republican nomination, Republican lawyers are backing him. 

Northampton County DA. - I've made my choice clear in the post below.

Northampton County Controller. -  Tara Zrinski and Nadeem Qayuum are two opportunists seeking the Democratic nod, while John Cusick is running unopposed on the Republican side. The Democratic candidates are a disaster. I'll be voting for Cusick in the general. 

Northampton County Council D1 (Bethlehem). - Democrat Ken Kraft is running unopposed. Hellertown's Bill Rowe was ejected from the Republican ballot for a minor, but fatal, error. He is waging a write-in campaign. I'd support Hellertown's Bill Rowe as a breath of fresh air who will work with Executive Lamont McClure. Ken Kraft left this office in the middle of his term for a better opportunity,  The voters he abandoned should reject him. 

Northampton County Council D2 (Easton). - Kelly Keegan is running unopposed on the Democratic side. Based on her quick response to criticism from Forks resident Ed Reagan last week, I'd support her. Council Prez Kerry Myers, who was bounced from the Democratic ballot because he was too lazy to get the signatures he needed to secure a spot, has switched sides and wants Republicans to write him in. 

Northampton County Council D3 (Nazareth). - Democrat Jeffrey Warren and Republican Casey Foreman are both running unopposed. I am bothered by Warren, who seems to move around a lot. But I know nothing about Foreman. That will change. 

Northampton County Council D4 (Slate Belt, Northern Tier): Tom Giovanni is running unopposed on the Republican side. Democrats have fielded no candidate. Giovanni is a proud Republican, but tends to govern without regard to party. I'd vote for him if I could. 

Easton Mayor. - Incumbent Sal Panto and Peter Melan both seek the Democratic nod. There's a rumor that firefighter Tim Reilly has decided to mount a write-in campaign on the Republican side. Panto promised to make Easton "clean and safe," and has largely kept that promise. But he's been in office six terms. Melan describes himself as a listener, which would certainly differentiate him from Panto.  I'm honestly conflicted, but would probably give Panto one last shot if I lived in Easton. 

Easton City Council. -  Seven Democrats and zero Republicans seek three open seats. The candidates are Downtown Kenny Brown (incumbent), former Easton School Prez Frank Pintabone, Constable Lance Wheeler, Dave O'Connell (incumbent), Ken Greene, Crystal Rose and Kurt Carlson. 

I'd go with Ken Brown, whose life story is remarkable. He brings a lot of quiet wisdom to the table. Frank Pintabone is the first person I think of when I think about Easton. Finally, I am touched by Dave O'Connell's sincerity. 

Bethlehem City Council. -  There are three seats available. This race will continue after the primary. Devin Brunges and Tom Ginther are running unopposed on the Republican side of the ticket, and James Follweiler is waging a write-in campaign. 

On the Democratic side, there are five candidates - incumbent Michael Colon, Colleen Laird, Ricky Butler, former Council member Bryan Callahan and Celeste Dee. I started by liking Colon, but was extremely disappointed by his insipid performance during the debate hosted at the steel hall. At the same time, I was extremely impressed by Callahan, who condemned back room meetings and an unresponsive Mayor.. I liked Laird's encyclopedic knowledge of city issues. Ricky Butler is an everyman, the Frank Pintabone of Easton. So I'd go with Callahan, Laird and Butler. 

Allentown City Council (3 seats)  - Police and firefighters have sunk $22,350 into the races being waged by Santo Napoli, Candida Affa and Tino Babayan. Those would be my choices. They are the candidates who understand it's insane to have social workers respond to 9-1-1 calls. Speaking of insane, I am astonished that Ce-Ce Gerlach,, who dumped an underage boy at a tent city and participated in "Fuck the Police!" rallies, is even running. And Rodney Bushe told me he had filed his expense report when he had not. 

Lehigh County Comm'r at-large (4 seats) - Incumbent Danny Hartzell is trying very hard to lose. He raised only $150. Then he gave $300 from his own pocket, not his campaign fund, to two of the candidates running against him. He gave Sheila Alvarado and Michael Blichar $150 each.  So I'd punish Hartzell by voting him in as well as the two candidates he funded.  My fourth pick would befinitely be Victor Martine, who brings both diversity and common sense. 

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is Brian being supported or is his father’s influence weighing heavily in this race? I have posted many times about ageism and I am guilty here — I can’t support someone for a lifetime job when he hasn’t even a decade of experience behind him.

Bernie O'Hare said...

I'd agree experience matters, but reject the contention that you must have a set number of years before running for judge. If someone has 10 years and another has 11, do you go for the person with 11 years simply because that person has more experience? Knowledge and temperament are just as important. It appears to me that many lawyers on both sides of the aisle like Brian.

Anonymous said...

If all the lawyers like him, I'd say that's a big reason to vote against him. 😆

Anonymous said...

It would appear the McClure slate will sweep.

Anonymous said...

Why do you say Tara and Nadeem are disasters?

Anonymous said...


As an Easton resident, I';; give Sally boy one more shot before he turns into Joe Biden....

Bernie O'Hare said...

"Why do you say Tara and Nadeem are disasters?"

https://lehighvalleyramblings.blogspot.com/2023/04/rubber-stamp-zrinski.html

https://lehighvalleyramblings.blogspot.com/2023/03/zrinski-advises-sludge-foe-to-break-law.html

https://lehighvalleyramblings.blogspot.com/2023/03/norco-home-rule-charter-bans-gifts-but.html

https://lehighvalleyramblings.blogspot.com/2023/03/zrinski-slams-dem-controller-opponent.html

https://lehighvalleyramblings.blogspot.com/2023/04/norco-controller-candidate-qayuum.html

Anonymous said...

Tara (holds nose) Houck (one more term) Panto (one more) council Ken Brown, Ken Greene, Crystal Rose feels balanced? I think Ken Brown would make a good next mayor, he’s inspiring and surprised he didn’t run this time. If I could pick 4 I’d vote Lance Wheeler

Anonymous said...

Nancy Aaroe for Judge. 32 years of experience versus 6. Only reason Panella is in the running is bc of his Dad. Simple.

John said...

I live in Easton. I’m looking forward to voting in this election and was happy to see a new batch of candidates join the fold this year.

Easton City Council — I will be proudly voting for Brown and Rose. I feel these two are the best candidates. I feel that Brown and Rose will be humble City servants focused on the community. Would have liked to have had Brown on the mayoral ballot this year. Rose is a hard worker and community minded. She will do great things for our city.

My third choice is up in the air. I liked Greene until I saw his finance reports (thank you for posting). Wheeler is a strong choice but I wish he’d play nicer in the sandbox. Maybe he will throw his hat in the ring for the ward seat in 2025.

Easton Mayor - I’m torn. I would have said Panto without a second thought a few weeks ago. Unfortunately his xenophobic mailer disgusted me. I may not vote for a mayoral candidate. Something that will be on my mind today.

Norco Council - Excited to see Keegan step into the role. Meyers’ move to the Republican ticket is disgraceful. He should have gotten his signatures. He comes off as lazy and is acting like a petulant child.

Norco DA - I will be voting for Houck. I think he’s doing a good job.

Norco Controller - I will be voting for Nadeem after reviewing both candidates’ backgrounds. He’s not a strong candidate but he has the financial education and background that I feel is necessary to do the job.

Norco Judge - Panella is young but I feel that he his ample experience. He’s an intelligent young guy that will make a great judge for years to come.

Clem said...

Another interesting race is school board for Easton. Only one race is contested and it's the Forks/College Hill region. Incumbent Ed Keegan is running against Mike Simonetta. Keegan is the husband of Kelly Keegan and Simonetta is a former business manager at EASD. I don't know much other than both Keegans have their detractors in Forks (other than Ed Reagan) and I've heard that the so called "Forks Mafia" is supporting Simonetta. Both have cross-filled. Ed, like his wife, are on the progressive side of the Democrat Party but I do not know anything about Simonetta's political views. This race could be split and settled in November.

Anonymous said...

DA: barrata I think has made some legit claims against houck that he’s earned my vote

Controller - honestly STILL undecided??

Easton Mayor - still Sal, I would have liked this to be a more robust race but I’m just not impressed with Melan

Easton Council - Greene, Wheeler, Brown. Greene, met him a few times at my door, Wheeler is no bs, and I’ve known Ken Brown for years, he’s done nothing to not have my support again.

Anonymous said...

CANNOT wait to cast my vote for Terry Houck tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

I am screwed tomorrow. A reluctantly registered Dem but indies can’t vote tomorrow. I just can’t support anyone associated with LV for All. They are the other end if the spectrum from hard right radical republicans. One commissioner candidate in Beth Twp is running on unwanted development. I would love to hear the definition of that and who define$ it. Watch the lawsuitspile up in the twp with 4 current LV for Allers as Commissioners

Anonymous said...

All are politicians our system of government breeds them--They are leading the country to third world status.

Anonymous said...

3:29, you could use a third world spelling lesson.

Anonymous said...

I just have to say thank you, Bernie, for your coverage of these races. As an Easton resident, it's been helpful to read your thoughts and the comments of others as I've also prioritized interacting with my local candidates to formulate my voting plan. I think this is where I've landed.

Melan for Mayor. I voted for Sal the last election, but have really been bothered by the lack of integrity this time around with the mailers and how he's interacted with Peter and other commenters on social media. I think he's been in the position long enough and Peter is right, the time for change is now.

Rose, Carlson and Brown for City Council. I've been super impressed with Crystal in the candidate events I've attended for her. She listens and I think can really do some great things for Easton. And I like the idea of seeing more representation on City Council, so she definitely has my vote. I met Kurt at a candidate event and we talked about his experience and how that can help Easton's residents. He's really digging in to help the South Side too, even though that isn't the neighborhood he lives in, which I'm glad to see. I think our elected officials should support every neighborhood, not just the one they live in. Ken Brown has represented Easton well for a long time and I think will continue to do so.

I know you recommend Frank, but twice now I've seen him try to intimidate people into voting for him - first at a local business I was at and then again with one of my neighbors. I think his love for Easton is great, but I think he might be too loose of a cannon and voter intimidation is something I just can't support.

I think Ken Greene just doesn't understand the dynamics of the city - your report on his fundraising and spending really showed me that. And when looking at all seven candidates together, David and Lance consistently have been at the bottom for me.

Thanks too for your thoughts on the controller race - that's one that I've struggled with as well. I think that will be a voting booth decision for me. All in all, thanks for your insight Bernie!

Vladimir Ill-itch said...

Anonymous 3:43,

3:29 didn't misspell any words.

3:29 could use a lesson on diction and punctuation, though.

3:29 isn't wrong, either. Our local leaders [sic] are not necessarily leading us down to Third World status simply because they don't have that kind of power. Although, I think TeamTara would, given her obvious stance of declaring war on domestic energy production, if she had the power.

And some of these people are corrupt. K. Keegan for accepting money from McClure. TeamTara for accepting money from McClure, and McClure's questionable ethics of donating to each of them and the speculation that this blog owner believes McClure's donation to Keegan was to pay for the challenge to kick Kerry Myers off the ballot. Myers deserved what he got for not getting the valid signatures but the unified machination of Keegan and McClure should not be overlooked and cannot be categorized as anything other than collusion. Keep an eye on these two once the next council is seated.

The only race that looks like it has some honest, good people, running is Easton City Council. Although, TeamTara posted on FB that she was knocking on doors over the weekend with Pintabone. Not a good move by him to be associated with her, in my opinion. But, other than that, Pintabone is genuine and earnest and should win a seat easily.

Anonymous said...

3:29--you sir are an asshole

Anonymous said...

Brian Callahan will be my first vote. Checks & balances mean something in local government. I will vote for Ricky Butler as well, the current council needs a shake up.

Anonymous said...

I think we’re lucky to have a pretty diverse group of ppl running in Easton.

First, I’m voting for Crystal. Not only because she is the only woman in the race, but I’ve been really impressed with how she’s running her campaign.

Second Ken Brown, he’s got great experience. Yes he has a great story, but he knows our Easton systems in and out.

Third, struggled with between Greene and Carlson, but I’m giving the nod to Greene. I hope Kurt stays in the game.

This is no offense to any of the other candidates, we have a plethora of great ppl running.

For mayor, I’ve supported Sal before, I will support him again. All power should be challenged and Peter does not offend me, but Sal works tirelessly for our city.

Bernie O'Hare said...

"I know you recommend Frank, I do, but you live there so I am glad you are sharing your view.

Anonymous said...

All new voices - Nadeem, Barratta, Melan, Greene, Wheeler, Rose!

Tom from Emmaus said...

Hi Bernie,

I think I will be voting for Peter.

From Your Holy Pal - Santo Pal.

Anonymous said...

Vlad has it right. The new mini-JM machine of MacClure is lining up the candidates he controls. This machine politics is crazy at the local level. Look at what happened in Bethlehem with Reynolds and his council. They are just rubber stamps. McClure is doing the same thing.
So, will not under any circumstance support Zirinski. Even if she was not owned by McClure, she is a dumpster fire of a public official.

Understand that the machine is pushing Baratta behind the scenes, That would explain the four-year chilly relationship between the administration and Houck, so voting for Houck.

Same for Keegan, she is certainly bought and paid for. Also, she is apparently a clone of Zirinski and the county doesn't need that. Can't do much about the other bought candidates.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your reporting. While I don’t agree with all your assessments, I’m particularly found of your finance reporting. I wish our local news sources would dig into all the candidates and link some of their past reporting. Many often forget the worrisome history some of these candidates have in their closets (Google your candidates and hit the news tab!).

My picks:

Easton Mayor - Maybe Sal? Agree with many that I wish there were more choices. I wish he could take constructive criticism better. He also holds grudges. This behavior holds back progress and cooperation.

Easton Council - Brown - 100% agree with your assessment. Rose - She’s going to get in there and work! We need more smart women in office. TBD 3rd pick - I may vote for two. I am on the fence about the others. Was planning on said Greene buy not after those finance reports. You sold us out, Ken :(

Controller - I don’t think the Dem candidates will win in November. Should we even bother?

DA - Baratta. Had a great conversation with him and was impressed with his ideas - especially surrounding bail reform. Would like to give him a chance.

Judge - Panella. Easy choice! Great guy.

Bernie O'Hare said...

11"55, Armchair Lehigh Valley is doing a good job of reporting campaign finance.

Anonymous said...

Zrinski, Houck, Panto, Greene, Rose, and Ken Brown (our next mayor). Melan was at my poll weirdly off to the side which was strange. VOTE.