About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, April 25, 2023

Good Morning Lehigh Valley! New Radio Show Hosted by Brad Osborne

Good Morning - Good Morning Lehigh Valley Promo by BernieOHare on Scribd

Brad Osborne is a man of many talents. He's been a Lehigh County Comm'r and is once again serving on South Whitehall's Board. He has been an occasional contributor to this blog. If you check out his Facebook page, you'll see he is also an avid ornithologist. His photography of birds in flight can be breathtaking. But that's not all. Starting May 30, he plans to host a weekly radio show on WGPA called "Good Morning Lehigh Valley." 

Locally, we have a morning talk show on WAEB 790, hosted by Bobby Gunther Walsh. Although he can be funny and asks sharp questions at times, his audience appears to be limited to aging right-wingers. But frankly, that's what gives talk radio its appeal. I love listening to sports radio at 94.1 for precisely that reason. The commentary might be biased and less informed, but it's an honest and accurate reflection of  what listeners actually think.  

WDIY had a weekly show entitled, smugly enough, "Lehigh Valley Discourse." That program was hosted by elitists like Alan Jennings. He claims to champion the unwashed masses, but refused to allow them to phone in and provide any perspective that might contradict his.

That show has supposedly "evolved," but not in a good way. 

When WLVR launched, I emailed with a suggestion that they host a weekly call-in show to give voice to real people on specific issues.  I never heard back. 

This is unfortunate. WHYY in Philly hosts a daily one-hour show that focuses primarily on local issues. People are encouraged to call in and it makes for lively radio. That station also hosts regular call-in shows with New Jersey's Governor. 

Spanish radio does an excellent job of informing the Hispanic community in Allentown although I never understand more than two out of 10 words. 

Brad's show has potential if he takes calls and has good guests.  I know he'll do his research.  A program like his should really be a daily thing. Local officials would probably be very receptive to the idea of answering questions from the people they are supposed to represent, and I am disappointed that local broadcasters refuse to snatch this low hanging fruit, which would be good for them and for democracy. 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't get the WGPA signal since the city let some guy park his box truck in front of my house.

Anonymous said...

What we need a left-wing radio station.

Anonymous said...

I hope these shows can be recorded so they can be listened to anytime.

Anonymous said...

Those public streets are brutal

Anonymous said...

I'm an NPR listener who prefers the safety, predictability, and bias confirmation I receive from their state-approved news and information.

Anonymous said...

What, NPR isn’t enough for you?

Bernie O'Hare said...

In answer to some of the questions:

1) The show will be on AM,FM and internet livestream.

2) There will be video posted on Brad's Facebook page.

I will have more details close to the date the show airs.

Anonymous said...

Brad is a good man who has spent many years of his life in dedicated public service . He has a good grasp on what is truly important in life, and how to relate to people, treating them with respect and dignity . That quality has enabled him to succeed in business and government. I am sure his new show will be another successful endeavor, and I look forward to tuning in on occasion .
Marc Grammes

Anonymous said...

And I appreciate the reinforcing sound effects that accompany their dramatic in depth reporting. I'm glad my tax dollars support such professional radio! Cough.

Anonymous said...

I think there should be a radio show where this blog is read aloud, although with an Italian accent.

Anonymous said...

I miss Jolly Joe.

Anonymous said...

I so agree with 220. Brad is a talented compassionate man who has done much especially showing interest in our most vulnerable...the elderly. He went out of his way to meet people to discuss cedarbrook nursing home. He is a fair man who has great communication skills and he listens! Good luck Brad and we are looking forward to hearing your shows

Anonymous said...

I listen to WDIY in the morning for NPR Morning Edition. Have not listened to any commercial radio station since WDIY went on air 28 years ago.

Anonymous said...

I miss W.E.S.T!!

Anonymous said...

Bernie, thank you very much for posting about my upcoming radio talk show on WGPA Sunny 1100 AM with simulcast on 98.5 FM. As you mentioned, my weekly show will also be live-streamed on the internet at WGPA.com. For those who cannot tune in real time, you can find the broadcast on my FB page at www.facebook.com/bradwgpa

I sincerely appreciate the positive comments posted about my approach in life and public service. Honestly, this forms the basis for my interest in continuing to remain active in a substantive and productive way. There is so much good to communicate and discuss in our community that often goes unrecognized and undervalued. My goal is to connect us with experts in a variety of subjects to keep us informed and engaged.

Brad Osborne


Anonymous said...

"Have not listened to any commercial radio station since WDIY went on air 28 years ago."

This same statement was made for years regarding TASS in the Soviet Union. Listening exclusively to official government communications is safe and unchallenging. Balance is dangerous. Be well comrade.

Anonymous said...

Bernie, as Brad's seat as South Whitehall Commissioner will be vacant and is one of the three being contested in the upcoming election, will you be writing a blog about the South Whitehall Commissioners race? I think a lot of people would like to see your take on it.