About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Thursday, November 26, 2020

Thanksgiving For Most, Mourning For Others

Today is Thanksgiving, my favorite of all holidays. This has nothing to do with giving thanks or seeing family. It has everything to do with food. It's the one day of the year I can eat like a glutton with no guilt. But this year's Thanksgiving meal will be relatively modest. I passed up a few invitations because I have no desire to pass my germs on to anyone else. I'm spending it instead with my favorite person - me.

Today is also National Day of Mourning for native Americans. This originated in 1970 when former pilgrims wanted to commemorate their arrival and asked a native American to deliver a speech. They refused to let him give it when they saw an advance copy, So he started his own day of mourning. Here's his speech.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

THE SUPPRESSED SPEECH OF WAMSUTTA (FRANK B.) JAMES, WAMPANOAG

http://www.uaine.org/suppressed_speech.htm

Anonymous said...

Did Trump mistake you as one of the Whitehouse turkeys Bernie and pardon you?

Anonymous said...

Well, you are wise to have passed up those invitations. I suspect that we will see a spike in coronavirus infections about a week after Thanksgiving as many Americans seem to be just fine with playing Russian Roulette with this disease. Not this old-timer.

I will commend you on your election reporting. You have been able to convey a valuable and informed perspective. My perspective is that,just as happened in 1863, the Confederates were stopped in Pennsylvania.

Chris Casey said...

You sure you didn't get that picture from the "Faces of Meth" album?