About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, March 23, 2020

The Virus Crisis: The Sun Will Return

"THESE are the times that try men's souls," Thomas Paine might say, as he once did when a new-born America stood at the brink of destruction by the most powerful force in the world. "'Tis surprising to see how rapidly a panic will sometimes run through a country," he added, making me wonder if there was a run on toilet paper then as there is now. Americans then faced the British Army and Hessian mercenaries, which undoubtedly precipitated numerous runs to the outhouse. Our enemy is Covid-19.

Last week, I was upset when Governor Tom Wolf demanded the closure of all non-essential businesses, which threw numerous people out of a job. I grew worried when my gym closed, figuring I'd put on 100 pounds in no time. I was aggravated even more when the county closed its doors to the public, making it impossible for me to research real estate titles. The icing on the cake came Thursday, when Wolf released a real edict that shut down virtually the entire state economy.

Since the gym has closed, I've discovered a few things. I've found that I can exercise using my bodyweight instead of using machines that can hurt me. I've learned that I can run around three miles and alternate running with walking. I've found I've been able to manage my gluttonous appetite, although I still intend to binge once lent is over. I've had time to talk with a lot of friends. Most of all, I've forgotten how nice it is to be outside.

On Friday, I went for a long walk. It was raining and miserable when I began, but before long, the sun began to shine and the temperature climbed. Everyone was out. Parents went on walks with their kids and dogs, who seemed to be the happiest of all. People would smile and say Hi as we crossed paths. "Stay safe," some would say.

From time to time, the sun would dart behind dark clouds, but it always returned.

This walk made me realize that, as bleak as things might seem at the moment, the sun will return. Just as Covid-19 had a beginning, it will have an ending.

Weather forecasters are predicting a lot of rain this weekend, but the sun will follow.

"I see no cause for fear," said Paine, even though the British were nipping at his heels. "I know our situation well, and can see the way out of it."

What followed was George Washington's stunning victory at Trenton, and against all odds.

If we could achieve that success, we will beat this virus. I and many others are upset at the loss of work a lot more than I am fearful of this pandemic. But as Paine reminds me, "What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good entry, Bernie! Thank you.

We will learn from this and come out on the other side a better nation. My desire is for politics to stop being a battlefield, but a place where things get done outside the reach of the desire to get re-elected.

Anonymous said...

Good and timely message Bernie. Very thoughtful of you. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Makes you wonder about the camps, how folks treated one another on the train rides, and how precious the thoughts of their former lives must have been.

How easy it could happen in the here and now, when out of fear we give our power to those who claim to know better.

New Rochelle, the place of Paine's death a predominantly Jewish community today, became the first locked down community in the US. If the horror begins again what would it look like? A necessary hand washing and showering station, tests and selections, tents and soldiers?

The British were the last to bend to the Media and Political pressure this time but finally have succumbed. One thing is certain the virus pales in comparison to the affliction of state power and authority. Do we have such men today that question authority as Thomas Paine did then? Not on this side of the pond.

Anonymous said...

Derided by the public and abandoned by his friends, Thomas Paine died on June 8, 1809 at the age of 72 in New York City.

Anonymous said...

After his death on June 8, 1809, Paine was buried near his home in New Rochelle, New York.

Anonymous said...

"The sun will come out tomorrow" - Lil' Orphan Annie

Anonymous said...

Glad he kept his plague in NY like many invaders that should have followed suit but than they couldn't get assistance in two different places.