About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, November 07, 2017

My Five NorCo Council Picks

Peg Ferraro and Ron Angle
I am supporting three Republicans and two Democrats in this year's Council race. Yes, I am a Democrat, but believe in voting for the person, not the party. Because I am an election worker, I already voted by absentee ballot.

My three Republican picks are Peg Ferraro, Hayden Phillips and Ron Angle. Peg will be the top vote getter. She represents a decency that belongs in government. Hayden Phillips gets my vote because of his work ethic (he has the best attendance record on Council) and his independence. Yes, he considers himself a "proud tea party member,"  but he has a conscience.That is unfortunately an increasingly rare quality in government.  Though Ron Angle is my best friend, anyone who saw him during either the Executive or Council debate knows he belongs in county government. He brings humor, common sense and a nose for bullshit. No matter who is elected, Angle will be a check on executive power.

Someone who realized Angle might just get elected decided to do a robo call attacking him last night. Set to the soundtrack of Jaws, a voice asks, "Guess who is raising his ugly head at the polls tomorrow?"  The problem with this hit piece is that it is so funny it makes Angle look good.

He probably will lose because he was unable to mount a campaign. But I consider him the best candidate.

My two Democratic picks are  Ron Heckman and Bill McGee. Heckman brings a lot of institutional knowledge and is deeply committed to human services. Like the other Ron, Heckman has a great sense of humor and will call things as he sees them. I like McGee's vision for job creation, and his willingness to listen.

I cast my absentee ballot before the debate, but have to tell you that Tara Zrinski and Lori Vargo Heffner were very impressive.I admired Zrinski's passion and Heffner was as well-informed as the incumbents.     

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who was the fool or fools that wasted money on an Angle attack call? Seriously, what a waste. I agree with your assessment. Unless there is a huge republican tidal wave, chances of Angle winning are slim. Just a silly waste of money. Must be nice to have money to burn. Who knows maybe a republican did it.

Probably one of the party "professionals", this is the stupid stuff they waste time on.

I agree with your picks. Vaughn and Giessinger are not that impressive.

Anonymous said...

I'd vote for Ron just because of that stupid annoying phone call. It sounded like a couple of bored kids made it.

Anonymous said...

No one willingly associated with a furiously racist hate group like the Tea Party has anything resembling a conscience or a sense of decency.

Ferraro isn't entirely terrible (aside from wanting to hand Easton endless money), but giving her a 400th term is slightly less important than making state and federal GOP get the jitters about continuing to adhere to a certain orange dotard. Let this election send a clear signal.

Anonymous said...

I will vote for Ferraro and Phillips. I have thought abut Angle and just don't know. He has knowledge but his circus antics are just too much at times. I will also vote for Heckman because the guy has experience and I think his points on keeping an eye on county executives is currently missing. I will not vote for both Vaughn and Giessinger, I have not decided which one. I am leaning against Giessinger because the guy appears to be more interested in running for something else.

Anonymous said...

I would not vote for anyone who supported John Brown . Peg Ferraro made Robo calls for Brown. she is part of the problem not part of the solution. she is unfit to serve by her association and lack of guts to stop Brown and his crooks.

Bernie O'Hare said...

"No one willingly associated with a furiously racist hate group like the Tea Party has anything resembling a conscience or a sense of decency."

People who refuse to sign comments like these are in no position to talk about conscience or decency. Without question, many tea party members are racist. So are many Republicans and Democrats.

Bernie O'Hare said...

"I'd vote for Ron just because of that stupid annoying phone call. It sounded like a couple of bored kids made it."

If someone can send me a copy, I'd love to hear it. I'm told it is hilarious.

Ovem Lupo Commitere said...

I'll be splitting my ticket too, very similar to yours. However, Ferraro started losing me a few years with her insistence on Naz EMS contract at a time when Gracedale's solvency was a serious issue. Now, her insistence at huge public monies to the DiVinci aquarium project in Easton.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Ken Kraft, I voted for a man who is independent and has a conscience.

TJD said...

I was also impressed with Tara and Lori at the debate/forum and each won my vote, along with Heckman and Angle. Still up in the air with my 5th...either McGee or Phillips.

Anonymous said...

Trade Tara to go with both McGee and Phillips. Tara likes the idea of a big fish tank in Easton. The one Peg wants to throw money into.

Power Pundit said...

Ken Kraft my union brother from another mother! Let's meet at Billy's Downtown Diner tomorrow at my booth and go over the results, ill be there at 7AM. Bernie your welcome to show as well, coward. LOL

Bernie O'Hare said...

11:46, Tara and Angle were the only two Council candidates not salivating at the prospect of spending public $ on the fish tank.

Anonymous said...

I like Bernie's picks for once. Bernie, I agree that it would be nice to have a couple people on county council who actually understand what the county does.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Tara. My bad. Thought I had it right, as I voted against that fish tank. Hope you don't lose by 1 vote.
11:46

Anonymous said...

Go democrats