About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Stoffa & McHale: Are We Ready For the Next Disaster?

Ann McHale: "We currently have an excellent emergency response team at our 911 center. We've had that for a number of years. It's been in place since the previous administration and it continues to be a very, very good team of emergency workers.

"The other issue that I would like to bring is that the health department is obviously very important and I've supported that and will continue to support it. Actually, I'm the first president of the Bi-County Health Commission.

"Going back to catastrophic loss, we've had floods - unfortunately in the City of Easton. It seems to be flood prone. And our Sheriff's Department has always helped with the local municipalities in recovery of some areas when it comes to floods ... getting people out of their homes, et cetera.

"Unfortunately, under this administration, our Sheriff's Department is not allowed to do that anymore."


John Stoffa: "I have to correct Mrs. McHale on this one. Three and a half years ago, our emergency services was a disaster in itself, was under the Sheriff's Department. I hired John Conklin out of Miami, one of the best emergency persons in the country. The Superintendents of schools wouldn't work with us. They were working with Monroe County, we were so bad.

"Right now you have one of best emergency services in the country. I can guarantee you that. We took emergency services and put it under 911, where it should have been. Right now, you can go to sleep tonight knowing you have one of the best in the country.

"That recent spill on 33 was proof. Not one person was hurt. Animals ... horses were moved, dogs were moved, sheep were moved, cats, dogs removed. Two hundred and fifty people. And nobody got hurt. And that was a result of our emergency services management. They are a terrific, well-trained, group of people."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was when the audience spontaneously applauded Stoffa.

Anonymous said...

The only disaster I can think of is McHale as Executive....

Anonymous said...

I'll second that Anonymous at
10:23 am - a vote for McHale is a vote for a female Glenn Reibman!

Anonymous said...

A vote for Stoffa is a vote for four more years of aimless governemet with a 'C' squad administration.

That is and will continue to be a disaster.

Anonymous said...

Where do I sign up to get rid of Joe Long? Is the County Controler's office the place to go? Is the DA on this list? Is this where I go? I hear that the young Turks want to take Long out, and I want to be a part of it. Do I ask Don Cunningham where to go? I heard at a fundraiser that he will be in favor of this because Long can't spell Governour.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Stay tuned. After the election, you can expect to see the rise of the New Democrats, people who are tired of machine politics and goon squads.

Age is no factor in this. Stoffa is a new Dem, as is Grucela. But there are plenty of Dems, young and not so young, who detest what Long and his ilk are doing.

I will have more about the New Dems after the election.

Anonymous said...

at least ann mchale is willing and reconize's the importance of using all the resourse's available to county residents, based on that alone she has my vote. is there any proof that our emergency response is one of the best in the state? why does john conklin get this credit? wasn't it fema who put this in place after the floods?

Anonymous said...

Really? So when I saw Grucela huddling with Joe Long over a drink, that was make believe?
There is no question that Long is not all that popular as Chairman and it has nothing to do with Stoffa. Most Dem's are not enchanted with Stoffa.
The young turks? Really? Dertinger, MaClure, Barron and the other Dem candidates are all part of team Long and always have been. Rumor has it that Barron is playing both sides against the middle. Maybe that is true, we will see.
I am no fan of Long and he knows it. I wonder if any of these "New" Dem's have told Long how they feel? Or are they being snakes.
How is it that regular Dem's like myself and some others are not aware of this great movement.
Sounds like a case of,"The King is dead, Long Live the King".
As a Democrat I accept no leadership. Especially Long, Stoffa or Grucela.

Bernie O'Hare said...

I know I've told Long how I feel. I know several Democrats who have told Long how they feel. When party hacks endorse at a meeting that is advertised as a petition signing meeting, something is wrong. When someone who advocates humane treatment for prisoners is branded a rightwing wingnut, something is wrong. The local party has lost sight of what it means to be a Democrat. After the election, expect to see the New Dems seize control of the party from the Long Dems.