About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Wednesday, June 07, 2023

Where to Check Air Quality - We Were Code Purple

When I walked yesterday morning, things seemed fine. But in the late afternoon, when I left Nazareth to meet my grandson for a bike ride on the Ironton Trail, the skies were hazy and I could smell burning wood. One of my neighbors told me it was from a wildfire on Farmersville Road. I figured that I'd be fine in Coplay, but it was just as bad there. I was unaware at the time that the haze and burning odor were the result of a Canadian wildfire. I checked and learned that the air we were breathing was unhealthy and we should refrain from outdoor activity. So we rode. It was very nice because, other than a dead body here and there, there was no traffic. 

As the evening progressed, I developed a burning sensation in my eyes. I looked for and found the Air Quality Index here. At 11 pm, the Air Quality Index in the Lehigh Valley was 220. That is Code Purple, meaning the air is "very unhealthy." At this time of year, our AQI is usually 42. 

The forecast for today is an AQI of 135, which means the air will be unhealthy for sensitive groups. 

Guess what? N95 Facemasks help


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a Biden conspiracy acting with a left-wing Canadian Antifa group that started the fires. Mixed with the smoke is a new virus sprayed by planes under the guise of it being fire fighting chemicals. Since I refuse to wear a mask I will continue to hold my breath until my President Trump orders building a mega-super-giant smokeless ashtray that will protect America.

Bernie O'Hare said...

I'm wearing a mask. We dropped to 198.

Anonymous said...

How soon before the uneducated, gullible tools and disciples of their hero Trump start with the conspiracy theories that masks are worthless, and not going to help with the smoke and unhealthy air?

Anonymous said...

I’d recommend that you switch to a plastic bag with a zip tie. Far more effective

Anonymous said...

403. That's crazy! Tx for information Bernie.

Anonymous said...

To above conspiring conspiracy theorists, you are all incorrect, it was created by aliens.