About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Robert the Cyclist

My grandson Dat and I try to ride together at least once a week, usually on the Ironton Trail. But on Sunday, we rode the Tatamy Trail into downtown Easton, and from there along the D&L to the Bethlehem boat launch.  We could have gone farther, but we turned around to beat the rain. Anyway, just as we were getting on our bikes, a fellow named Robert stopped us. He liked Dat's Cannondale, and wanted a picture.  We got to talking and he had a pretty compelling story, which I'll share without identifying him. 

He's a little younger than I, and just started cycling. In that time, he has lost 25 lbs. He was on blood pressure medication and has been able to stop. But he was hurting. He had ridden 500 miles that week. They were on a Trek Domane. He rides that bike at close to 24 mph, which blows my mind. When we saw him, he was on a more relaxing Trek FX2, on which he still averages about 14 mph.  That's still a little faster than me.  

Cycling is great exercise. More importantly, it's fun. 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

A little younger than you means he is as old as dirt. Just an observation...

Anonymous said...

Have you seen Tara Z the eco warrior out on the bicycle I've heard she puts out some serious watts

Anonymous said...

I'm going to take you to pickleball school one of these days and send you muttering to the hospital like Lamont. Where is your court of choice?

Bernie O'Hare said...

"I'm going to take you to pickleball school one of these days and send you muttering to the hospital like Lamont. Where is your court of choice?"

I'll play anywhere. I actually have a portable court in my car. If you want to play me, I must insist you sign a release.

Bernie O'Hare said...

"Have you seen Tara Z the eco warrior out on the bicycle I've heard she puts out some serious watts"

Bicycle enthusiasts include people of all persuasions. I know hard core conservatives who love it. One fellow who actually helped me fix a flat was a devout Christian, and I went to church twice as a result of his help. I see lots of people my age and younger on ebikes. I see people who wear the bug outfits that MM hates. I see people out in regular clothing. But I don't see people ride in the rain. I think today's a gym day.

Anonymous said...

I am for anybody getting fit and healthy! People complain about health care costs, but we have a 40% obesity rate in this country. If we could reduce that even by 10% we would save billions in health care costs. Fit people have better mental health, productivity, and feel better about themselves. Remember don’t judge, encourage people and help them reach their goals!

Anonymous said...

Your making me hungry for a donut

Anonymous said...

I'm planning to ride from Northampton to Bath on Nor-Bath trail, then to Nazareth on street then Bushkill Trail to Easton. Just waiting for a perfect weather day.

Bernie O'Hare said...

That sounds like a great ride, most of it on trails. Get out of Norbath at Jacksonville Rd, then Jacksonville Rd to Rte 512 for one block, then right on Silver Crest Rd to Newburg Rd. then Blossom Hill Rd to georgetown Rd, then right on Bath Pike into Nazareth. Turn left on Green St, right on W Walnut Street, then out to Tatamy, hop on Tatamy Trail. At the Crayola factory, pop onto Bushill Street and ride into Easton, get on Canal Park towpath and head straight back to Northampton. Very cool.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bernie,

Maybe you could ride along with Joe Snedeker for his 26th annual ride to benefit St. Joseph's Center. Doing a ride from Hazleton to Lehighton on day 3 this year.

https://www.wnep.com/article/news/local/outreach/go-joe/go-joe-26-bike-ride-information-st-josephs-center/523-6364d3a0-668f-49d3-a0f5-58321051c100

Gotta give props to the guy, still going strong.

Bernie O'Hare said...

I would (1) if I had known sooner; and (2) the air quality were better. Last time I rode in bad air I got sick for two days. Today is unfortunately a gym day.