About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Tuesday, November 30, 2021

DeSales Mens Basketball Team Rated #25 By D3 Hoops

On Monday, I was chided for failing to note that Kutztown University's D2 football squad is also playing in the NCAA tournament on its level. "Stick to basketball," I was told. In that vein, I am pleased  to inform you that the 6-0 DeSales Bulldogs are now rated by D3Hoops as the 25th top Mens Basketball Team in the nation. This weekly rating is based on voting by a panel of 25 coaches, sports information directors and media members across the country.

In pre-season polling, DeSales was nowhere to be found. Yeshiva is ranked #1, and is an amazing team to watch in action. 

DeSales MBB includes several standouts from LV high schools. These include point guard Matt Kachelreis (Emmaus - 37 assists), shooting guard Jordan Holmquist (Moravian Academy - 20 trays), shooting guard Ryan Boylan (Easton Area High School - 33 rebounds) and shooting guard Dat Lambert (Allentown Central Catholic - 79 points). 

In addition to all this local talent, the team relies heavily on Mason Barnes (Pottsville Area - 14 steals), Will Pollick (Kingsway Regional), Christian Guldin (Pennridge), Mike Bealer (Souderton - 11 trays), Elijah Eberly (Elizabethtown - 47 rebounds and 8 blocks), Keba Mitchell (Berks Catholic - 14 rebounds and one shattered backboard on a dunk) and Will Bowen (Lower Dauphin).

Timmy Edwards (Trinity), who led the team in scoring last year, is expected to rejoin the squad in December after recovering from an injury. 

They are coached by former Whitehall phenom Scott Coval, who is in his 29th year at the helm. His son Nick is following in his father's footsteps, but at Parkland, 

The team will be hosted by an always tough Wilkes on Wednesday night. 

I go to every game I can and wear a uniform under my street clothes. I have asked Coach Coval several times to put me in because I have about 70 years of eligibility.

"I don't know, Bernie. Can you shoot a 3?"

I can shoot a 4. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bernie: I'm going to tell all your enemies where they kind find you on Monday December 20 (24th & Liberty Sts!!). Seriously, I'm glad for DSU and am looking forward to seeing a really good local student/athlete on the other team. The Mules are very middle of the pack this year, overcame a nearly 20 point deficit in their last home game vs. Centennial Conference leader (Swarthmore) to lose by 2 in the last few seconds. Mules' Dan Gaines may be the best player in Centennial Conference, an exciting guy to watch play.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Gaines is a pre-season All-American. Incredibly gifted.