About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Thursday, October 01, 2020

Trump Supporters: Please Vote, But Do Not Interfere at Polling Places

One of the most inspiring things I see as an election day poll worker is the sight of people on crutches and walkers who make their way into my polling place to exercise their suffrage. Even before mail-in ballots, most of these people would have every right to seek an absentee ballot. They insist on voting in person even though it must be a painful struggle for some. I have the utmost respect for these real patriots, no matter how they vote. I also see young couples who bring their children with them right into the voting booth. These kids are thrilled when they get an "I voted" sticker. Don't tell the county, but sometimes I slip them two. My job as an elections judge is to make sure that every registered voter is able to cast a ballot free from interference or intimidation. Outside the polling station, voters usually must pass through a gauntlet of campaign workers, making last-minute pitches for their candidates. That's democracy. These politicos know, however, to stay outside. If unaware, they are educated. Politics and exhortations must end once inside the voting sanctum sanctorum. That's why I was particularly distressed by some of the comments Donald Trump made on Tuesday's debate. He is imploring his unthinking minions to invade the polling stations and watch people as they vote. Unless you are certified by the party or candidate as a poll watcher, this is illegal. As an election judge, I will bar anyone inside the polling station unless certified as a watcher.

"I'm urging my supporters to go into the polls and watch very carefully," Trump responded when asked whether he would urge his supporters to stay calm. He clearly wants his supporters to come into the polling place to intimidate other voters.

He previously has said, "We're going to have sheriffs, and we're going to have law enforcement, and we're going to have, hopefully, US attorneys, and we're going to have everybody and attorney generals (sic)." This is illegal, too. Police officers, whether uniformed or not, must stay at least 100' away unless they are there to vote or are requested by the election judge.

Under Pennsylvania's Election Code, each party may designate three watchers per precinct and each candidate can name two people. They must be certified as watchers by the Registrar. If they want to come inside the polling place they are welcome so long as they present their credentials. They serve a useful role. They ensure transparency and can let the elections judge know if they wish to challenge a voter on the basis of identity or eligibility. But the law also limits the number of people allowed inside at any one time, and an uncertified poll watcher who is there simply because he or she supports Trump or Biden will be requested to leave.

It should be a very busy day. A bevy of uncertified watchers will booth intimidate voters and make the job of elections workers even more difficult.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Most likely, the message given was to encourage every voter-in-person to observe the overall operation at the polling center. If they see something that appears out of line, make note and report what you observed. A few years ago, I was heckled by a poll worker on the curb outside. It was clearly inappropriate against his party’s opponent. I reported him.

I still have that image in mind from outside a Philadelphia polling place several years ago when two heavily armed thugs stood outside to intimidate. Glad some voter reported that. Yes, we need to observe as much as we can.

Anonymous said...

Think it's likely those Trump supporters will stop rioting, burning, and looting in all those dem cities long enough to raise havoc at the polls??? Yeah, so do I.

Anonymous said...

Bernie - I believe you must be a county resident to be a poll watcher correct?

How ultimately is it enforced?

I do think any "displays" by either party would ultimately backfire on them. Not a good look.

Anonymous said...

Keep your head down, don't make eye contact and you'll be fine.

Anonymous said...

No one will intimidate a super voter

Anonymous said...

Sounds like my neighbor at every election. In 16 he hung out all day at the polls. Was heckling people waiting in line that morning. When my wife voted that afternoon, he was stalking the parking lot. I fear he will now be encouraged to do the same in November. People just vote and go home.

Karl Fluck said...

I Was an elected Judge of Elections in South Bethlehem at the old Broughal Jr. High school for ten years. My last year was the year that NORCO went to a computer system and I waited in the hall for nearly two hours to hand in my results. I remember BUSH V GORE because I normally had about 115 to 120 voters every election; however because Lehigh University was in my district BUSH V GORE I had about 350 students show up. This was in the day of the lever machines when I could hold an election in a cave with candles and a flashlight if I had to. I had a parking lot at the entrance to the poll and at 8:00 Pm when the poll was due to close I went outside to let everyone who was in line into the school to vote. I waited a few seconds to see if there were any late arrivals, moms with kids in the car, students running etc. Because it was close to Halloween I always had candy for the kids,coffee and OJ for the three priests and ministers who voted early, and all thru the day. Kids went into the poll with their mom or dad,all of the members of my board, one who spoke spanish, helped anyone and everyone who wanted to vote for the candidate(s) of their choice. I never had any problems. I tried to make it as enjoyable as possible for everyone; long day. In a Presidential election, and federal officers, the Judge of Elections is acting as a federal officer and anyone who tries to interfere who
is not credentialed, is subject to arrest by local law enforcement but subject to Federal prosecution under Federal laws. I think it's a stiff sentence maybe as much as five years. I really don't think it is going to be a problem. Good luck to the candidates and thanks to all of those poll workers; it really is a long day!

The Huntress said...

You're a good man Karl. Let's hope your confidence is proved to be right in this election.