About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Thursday, March 08, 2012

Dueling Easton Congressional Campaign Offices

Yesterday, I told you that Congressman Tim Holden intends to open a campaign office in Easton this Friday at 5:30 PM. It's at 431 Northampton Street.

Well, just a stone's thrown away, Congressional candidate Matt Cartwright is opening an Easton campaign office, too. His will officially open on Monday, March 12, 2012, at 5:30 PM. It's at 355 Ferry Street.

“The campaign is excited to open the Easton office. We have had staff and volunteers in the office for the past week and have received a great response from voters and the community,” said Cartwright in s news release. “We have already started to build a strong organization throughout the district and this will be the first of four campaign offices to open in the 17th District.”

The event is open to the public and refreshments will be provided. The office can be contacted at 610-253-8683.

Ideologically, I have much more in common with Tim Holden, who like Charlie Dent, is a moderate. And if truth be told, Cartwright is fighting an uphill battle against an entrenched incumbent. But I was really impressed by what his son had to say:
For over 25 years my dad has stood up to the special interests in the courtroom. He has held corporations responsible for their offenses against the middle class people of Pennsylvania. He has sued polluters. He has won cases for unfair bank practices, and auditing malpractice. For several years he gave up his time giving nightly free legal advice to viewers on a local news station. He regularly volunteers at a free legal clinic in a local church. My father comes home every night, and I can tell how much he genuinely cares about the people he fights for every day. When I was a little boy I asked my dad, “Why are you a lawyer?” and he told me, “Because I want to help people.”
In my brief conversation with Cartwright on Monday night, that's what I thought, too. That matters more to me than his views on SOPA.

The Republican in this race, Laureen Cummings, claims she is the founder of the Scranton Tea Party. "I will not sit idly by and watch some progressive movement destroy our Country. I will not sit idly by and watch them take away my freedom, my children & grandchildren's freedom or your freedom."

Alrighty then.

7 comments:

V said...

Ask Cartwright his stance on Abortion. Might surprise people.

Anonymous said...

You better check out what Cartwright tells people up in the North East. We need a Congressmen from up here. Just check his web site and you'll see glimpses of what he telling the people up here.

Bob Rascoe said...

Hey V:

Lets shock people, he's pro-choice! OMG! Relax, he's realistic. Mr. Cartwright would have voted against the Stupak Amendment and understands that Roe v. wade is the law of the land. He's not running for Judge, nor will he chip away at woman's rights the way that Holden has, who voted for the Stupak Amendment and is on the Republican's side in the contraception debate.

Hey Anonymous (I mean Holden staffer):
First, don't be a coward. Second, what does that comment even mean. Are you saying that a candidate for Northeastern PA, where 65% of the district is, is saying that NEPA needs one of their own? That's outlandish! Give me a break, the last thing Easton, Scranton or Wilkes-Barre needs is someone from a county in the middle of nowhere with three jails, awful roads and cowards like yourself.

Anonymous said...

Cartwright is a lawyer and, therefore, ineligible for my vote. It's time to get amoral lawyers out of government. They can't discern right from wrong and ultimately dis-serve a public they hold in contempt. This clown will be no different. just another lawyer looking for a soft landing because his ambulance chasing billable hours have diminished. No more lawyers. Enough.

Anonymous said...

I want more free abortions.

I want more free mortgages.

I want more free stuff.

NOW!

I will be voting Democrat forever.

Anonymous said...

Anon 7:09 yeah we did so great with a "business person" who was never a lawyer from 2001-2009. How did that work with our debt?

Leave it to the nitwit who traded Sammy Sosa for a few no ones in MLB history.

Also if you hate lawyers so bad, why do you read O'Hare? You know he was one of those damned godless lawyers too.

Harry O' Bern said...

"who like Charlie Dent, is a moderate."

AAAAHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHHHAHHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHHAHHHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHHAHHHHHHHHHAAAHHAAAHAHHAHHAHAHHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAH