About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Craig Golden: A Coach For All Seasons

Unpaid and unrecognized, the men and women who coach our grade school children have a far greater impact on them than the professionals later seen in high school or college. Fundamentals, discipline, persistence and teamwork are learned from volunteers who are rarely thanked for their dedication.

Craig Golden is one of these unsung heroes. For the past 36 years, he's coached youth sports programs in basketball, baseball, football and even bowling. After finishing a perfect season with a 6th Grade 'Canes team, he's decided to go out on a high note.

Vice President of Contract Underwriting for International Fidelity Company, Golden has also served as President of the Hurricane Basketball Club and is Vice president of the Lehigh Valley Knee High Basketball League.

Q) Over the years, you have been offered positions in several high school programs. Why did you stick with youth sports? - I have discussed some Assistant Coaching positions for High Schools, but I have enjoyed working and developing younger kids and never seriously considered the positions.

Q) What got you started? - I started as an assistant coach in baseball at 14 with a friend of my fathers' team. I then became a head coach at 15 of my cousins 11-12 baseball team in the Dewitt Little League. I love sports and wanted to be a coach when I grew up. Even though I am a huge Syracuse Orange fan, I idolized John Wooden and the UCLA teams. Though my mother was very supportive of my endeavors, I also believe my father's passing when I was 8 years old had something to do with my interest in developing kids since I never really had that experience.

Strategy session
Q) How do the kids compare today, from the way they were 36 years ago, when you first started coaching? - The kids are pretty much the same. I do think the intensity of the involvement at a younger age has increased significantly along with the importance of winning versus player development is a problem. The big difference over the years is the parental involvement.

Q) In the wake of the Jerry Sandusky and other scandals, is it harder to find people who are willing to coach? - I don't think it's harder to find people, but organizations are more cautious and perform more background checks than before. I do think the Sandusky situation has caused coaches to draw lines in regards to their direct involvement in kids' lives.

Q) If you could only teach your kids one thing, what would it be? - With the Hurricane Basketball program, I was more concerned in developing kids into young adults and building teamwork. Skill sets that are needed when they become adults. What I was most proud of in my tenure with the Hurricane Basketball program was not that almost all of our kids played for Todd Rothrock or Chad Landis, but that the kids that played in and stayed in our program graduated High School.

Q) How does it feel to go out on a high note with a perfect season, in both tournament and regulation play? - The undefeated season this year was great as was the 74-1 record over the last 3 years with this group, but watching the kids develop as young men, the camaraderie of the team and their competitive spirit in every minute of every game was my greatest take away. Also, that every player contributed in every game and all 9 players scored in double figures at least once and that we weren't solely dependent on one or two players.

Q) What will you be doing next Winter, when the boys start looking for you? - I will still watch games and still serve on the board of the LVKBL. I will not lose touch with the program but I will devote more time to my youngest son and his aspirations.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice. Hat's off to Coach. And a hat tip to this blog for stories about the good things that go on in our area. I was fortunate to be coached by some outstanding men who taught much more than the games and their fundamentals. I hope Coach knows how deeply his tremendous influence will be ingrained in the young men he's mentored - and certainly for the better.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Thanks for the nice comment. I hope Coach Golden sees it. He will be succeeded next year by another great guy who has worked under Golden the past few years.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering how many youth coaches realize the potential impact they have on the lives of the youngsters they interact with. The impact can be good or bad.
On the surface, this gentleman seems to be the good type, a man who seems genuinely interested mostly in producing young men who themselves may eventually be leaders. Ultimately, this coach will be judged by how many kids graduate from high school rather than how many kids play pro sports.


VOR

Bernie O'Hare said...

VOR, You are so right and that is what makes Golden most proud. His boys graduate. I've seen him and Coach Italiani take some boys under their wings and really help them.

Issac Touro said...

did u ever notice that ohare likes to hang out with little boys? don't drop your soap...........

Bernie O'Hare said...

Ever notice "Isaac Touro" is an anonymous coward?

Issac Touro said...

Issac is not anon - he is your worse nightmare.

Bernie O'Hare said...

Excuse me, but when you post anonymously or use some baloney name to post a comment that attacks others, you're an anonymous coward.

me said...

BO - the real and original user of the name Issac Touro made none of these posts. but do google the name - you might find it interesting. i hide my name for personal and political reasons. whoever is using it now is as exactly as you say - anon coward