About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Monday, March 06, 2023

Bloggers Should Disclose Compensation As Matter of Ethics, Not Compulsion

On Friday, I told you about an effort underway to compel Florida bloggers to register and file monthly reports if they are paid to write about state officials. This law would have no application to a "newspaper of other similar publication." Fellow blogger Michel Molovinsky told me he has no issue with requiring bottom feeders and garbage divers like myself to get an annual rabies or distemper shot, and as a matter of public health, I'd agree. But mandated registration and monthly reports of compensation? On its face, this violates both the First Amendment and Equal Protection. 

I do agree that, as a matter of ethics, any person who is compensated for his writing should disclose his income sources. But as most of you know, I have no ethics. 

As a matter of full disclosure, I've tried everything. I'm constantly threatening to expose public officials with all kinds of lies unless they pay me. I also offer to sing their praises if they throw me a bone here and there.  

Nothing works. 

This by no means indicates that local public officials are honest. They're all corrupt. 

I'm just a shitty writer. 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said.

Anonymous said...

Your blog is owned by Blogger, which is owned by Google, which is owned by Alphabet, Inc. You will do exactly as they require in their terms of service. There are no constitutional issues here. There are only the terms of service of a private corporate entity; agreed to by users of their platform. Google still abuses its publishing power and will likely be brought to heel, but only after they bite the Democratic Party, for whom they (and you) have worked tirelessly.

Anonymous said...

Not sure how many media companies (print, television, etc.) are publicly owned, but would SEC registrations, quarterly required 10-Q filings, executive compensation reports, and the like be considered “unconstitutional”?

Bernie O'Hare said...

7:02, Cuckoo!

Bernie O'Hare said...

Someone just submitted a comment praising felon Hasshan Batts as an e.g. of how terrible I am. Without question, I despise him and consider him a bad influence for Allentown or anyone. I have no respect for anyone prancing around the downtown in the middle of the night, yelling "Fuck the Police!" If you want to read that this felon is wonderful, go somewhere else. I will call him what he is - a bum.

Anonymous said...

All of America’s major news syndicates (including PBS and FOX) are now paid propaganda. I seek out smaller operations to discover accuracy and truth. You, Lehigh Valley Ramblings, fill an important news void maintained by our overpriced Morning Call. There’s value here due to your efforts, Bernie.

Although, some of the comments you decide to present, or censor from view, show shades of “unpaid propaganda.” I recognize and understand that. Still a good read every day.

Anonymous said...

Bernie is a democrat and he’s up front about it. He covers Northampton count politics better than anyone so thanks! The self depreciation is nice as well haha.

Anonymous said...

I had to think on this one... At first it sounds restrictive, however I think it will become more of an issue as Artificial Intelligence becomes part of our online life.
And A.I. will have more of a presence in our lives. When Proctor & Gamble can sell you detergent without having a person involved it will indeed change our lives. I'd like to know if a blogger is paid. If some "influencer" tells me how wonderful a new bra is I'd like to know if she is (a) a real person, and (b) if she is getting paid for her exuberance about the product. So when my congressperson posts something online I'd like to know that it is coming from the congressperson, not a bot that is posting on a topic that matched up with an online algorithm.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work Bernie. We love you.
Submitted by Frank and the boys
at "Sweeties" gay bar.

Anonymous said...

I'm a bit ignorant, but how is that different then the election laws which require those whose intent is to influence an election with the requirement to disclose. Why is one violative of first amendment and another not and can one tell the difference when reading any blog during an election season?

Anonymous said...

Desantis has released a statement disavowing this Bill.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ron-desantis-disavows-florida-gopers-blogger-registration-bill/ar-AA18kPhW

Bernie O'Hare said...

Glad to hear. Several other conservatives have condemned this bill as well, and along the same grounds as I condemn it. I never said DeSantis supported it, only that the bill comes from Florida. Now that some of the MAGAs realize that their leaders oppose this inanity, mayble they'll change their thinking.