About Me

My photo
Nazareth, Pa., United States

Friday, January 31, 2020

Rick Orloski, RIP

Prominent civil rights attorney Rick Orloski, champion of underdogs everywhere, has had a change of venue. Instead of suing bad cops and governments here in the Lehigh Valley, he's been recruited to assist some of the more questionable recent candidates for Paradise.

"People like Bart Star or Doris Day need no help," he told me in a special appearance from a burning bush earlier this week. "But do you know how much the heavenly host despises Rip Taylor? Archangel Michael went ballistic when he got sprinkled with confetti." Orloski had special permission to warn me it's time I clean up my act.

I'm apparently in bigger trouble than Rip Taylor.

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, Rick passed away on Sunday, just shy of his 73rd birthday. Like both my parents, he is originally a product of the coal regions. He was of short stature like my father, but was a legal giant.

Most of the general public will remember Rick as a perennial candidate for public office, be it Congress or State Senate. Cedar Crest commuters could tell when an election was approaching by the number of signs outside his law offices. He was a very involved Democrat who understood better than most that democracy is no spectator sport.

But his real passion was helping others. Like his brother, a priest, Rick used his passion of the law and Cornell Law School education to give a voice to those being besieged by bully employers, bad government and violent cops. He often took on unpopular causes because his conscience was more important to him than what others thought.

His clients loved him. I know. I was one of them.

I hesitated before writing this tribute. I will explain why in the post below.

11 comments:

Doc Rock said...

Rick Orloski always looked for the better angels among us. He didn't always find them. But, he never stopped looking. RIP, Rick.

Anonymous said...

I don’t remember ever meeting Mr. Orloski but always took interest in his work. We should respect and admire his tenacity and belief in helping others, no matter what their ability to help him. THIS is the mark of humanity expected of everyone welcomed to rest in eternal peace.

One can consider our place of final journey to be wherever we choose to believe. I’m thinking Mr. Orlowski traveled UP, not down. Furthermore, that he was waved right through the gates.

Anonymous said...

What's John Karoly's obit gonna say when you write it one day?

Anonymous said...

Knowing Mr. Orloski professionally for almost 40 years, I also gained an insight and appreciation for him as a person. He always fought the good fight. Usually I was on the other side of that fight but he always earned my respect by his motives and the manner in which he battled, either when he won or when he lost.

Anonymous said...

See you on Cedar Crest Rick

Randy U. said...

A class act. One of a kind. Rick you will be missed. Godspeed.

Unknown said...

I am assuming you meant Cornell Law School education, not Colgate...Rick RIP.

Anonymous said...

I met Rick several times, while working with a severely mentally ill woman friend of mine. He was always kind and patient with her, even when she was being delusional. He helped her navigate a divorce and helped her to get disabilities benefits she rightly deserved.

Anonymous said...

RIP Rick
Bernie, Your Weekend Wallop would be fitting since the Sunday call wiil not soon be comming!

Anonymous said...

Rest in peace Mr. Orloski - a very kind man and excellent attorney. Fighter for the little guy and victims of crimes.

Anonymous said...

Knew him from a campaign almost 20 years ago. I put lawn signs up for him. He was very appreciative. Sad to read this. Of course it amuses me that he helped you in your time of need. RIP Mr Orloski